Cutting aluminum plate with table saw

fcs

Registered
Registered
I’m making some larger tool rests for my grinder. Any tips for cutting 3/8 inch aluminum (6061) on a generic table saw with a thin kerf carbide blade? One pass or several shallow ones?

Full face shield, sleeves to cover your forearms, top quality ear protection. Not saying you should do it or how to do it, but I used to a lot. The chips come off at the speed of light and will embed themselves in any exposed flesh amid a cacophony of brilliant white screaming noise. You will get halfway through the cut when you start to wish you had longer sleeves and better muffs....

AND a respirator. Aluminum cut this way also throws dust and it floats forever. I had my big vac on the outlet on the bottom of my 10“ table saw and there was chips and dust everywhere.

I don't know what you mean by "generic table saw" but it doesn't inspire confidence.
I use a vintage 10" Rockwell Unisaw with a blade designed for cutting nonferrous metal. Also, I use wax stick lubricant on the blade.

I use band-aids on my fingers, acetaminophen on my aching ears, and my insurance card before I get on the ambulance. When that isn't enough, I use my generic band saw and skip the other parts.

I have a 4' x 4' piece of 1/4 6061 and thought about cutting it on my Unisaw and thought "No way do I want that mess..."
Bought a new blade for my vertical bandsaw and went to town. Much less violent.

Reactions: Z2V
We cut patches of 1/2 plate for the inside of gasoline tankers using a skill saw. Just a regular saw blade and put it in backwards, makes lots of noise but quieter than the air chisels taking off the old patches.

I've cut 3/8" Al. on a good quality powermatic cabinet saw with a blade made for aluminum. Using the cautions stated by others and being very careful about how you feed the stock, it can work. I also use a face shield because those little bits of high speed Al can make you flinch and you don't want to be flinching while feeding the stock.

I would add that your table saw should be fully tuned up. Blade exactly square to the table and parallel to the fence. Everything tight, good quality fence. You don't want the blade binding in any way.

Back