Cutting Hardened Metal??

w6br

Thud Driver
Registered
Gentlemen,

I have a MT-2 Taper hardened Jacobs Lathe adapter that I need to cut down in size approx. 3/8". I have tried using Carbide cutting tools and various cut off tools and they barely make a dent!! What would one use for cutting off the end?? Abrasive cut-off saws, etc.??

Thank you for your time.

Ron, w6br

Hi Ron,

Yes an abrasive cut-off saw should do a quick job of it.
It'll likey leave it a little ragged and maybe a bit discoloured from heat.
A file will clean up the burrs. The discolouring can be minimized; cut a little then back off and repeat....it'll be slower, but you'll give it a chance to cool.
-brino

If carbide won't do it, then an abrasive cutoff saw is about the only answer. If you don't have one, Harbor Freight sells a nice little air powered one. Or use a cutoff wheel (suicide wheel) on an angle grinder.

Does it need to maintain that hardness ? If not you could heat it up cherry red and then cool it down real slow {Bury in sand or wrap in welders blanket} .Should be soft enough to cut just go slow for the first .040 or .050 thousands and expect to resharpen your tool bit when you get past the hard layer.
Only other option is to surface grind it.
***G***

An abrasive wheel on a Dremel tool works pretty good.

+1 on the Dremel. I used one to cut the tang off a Morse taper adapter. Wear safety glasses.

I have a14" abrasive saw, but I used aDremel with the fiberglass reinforced abrasive cutter wheel. Very fast way to do it.

i take it you are cutting this end....

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 9.09.59 PM.jpg

Just use a bench grinder. Won’t take that long. Make sure you have a cup of water close by…Dave

Back