Cutting Hardened Metal??

As other folks posting have asked: what are you cutting? If you have a solid set up, you can cut most heat treated hardened steels. I've cut induction hardened piston rods, hydraulic cylinder rods (some have a hard surface about 0.05" thick), even bored the ID of the inner race of a ball bearing, high speed steel, - of course the set up has to be very solid and the carbide doesn't last very long. It is generally not worth it to cut materials in the hard condition, but it is possible.

What is it that you are actually trying to do?

We used to cut 62 Rc D2 tool steel with dead sharp carbide tool bits, rpm's were eyeballed on an old LeBlond lathe according to the part dia and available rpm adjustments of the lathe. Hand fed, toolbit on center and small chips, .010 or so. Lots of sharpening on major cuts but that was the nature of the beast.

Gentlemen,

I want to thank all of you for responding to my inquiry - some really great ideas and I learned much from them!!

I started using the Dremel Tool with a cut off disk, and that was going to take all day, plus umpteen disks?? I put the tail piece on the Grinder and in no time cut it back, then cleaned it up!! Works great now!!

Again Thanks to you All and may you ALL have a Very Merry Christmas, and I hope that santa will be generous to you All.

Ron, w6br

Ron, thanks for posting back. I am glad it went well.
With such a diverse group and all so generous with their knowledge the biggest problem here is usually too many ideas! :)
-brino

Back