Cutting Oil

All,

I need to get some cutting oil and am not sure what everyone would recommend. I have the Grizzly g4003g lathe that has yet to be started up and the harbor freight 4x6 bandsaw.

For the bandsaw I have been using 3 in 1 oil, which works to some extent, but I would like to have 1 cutting oil for everything.

None of my systems have flood coolant/pumps so it is oil that is just brushed or squirted on the metal. I would like something safe for yellow metals just in case.

I don't have anything against water based coolants but am concerned it may rust my bandsaw blade or other components/tooling if it isn't cleaned up completely well.

What does everyone recommend?

I have a Grizzly G4003g I cut a lot of Stainless Steel Rod. Mostly threading. I was having a bugger of a time with it then I read what some old timers did. A 50/50 mix of Ace cutting oil and lard. That's right, lard. I've compared it to every exotic and expensive out there such as Tap Magic extra heavy and many others. The oil lard mix leaves an excellent finish and I don't overheat the stainless. That's my 2 cents

Rapid Tap cutting oil works good with all metals. I prefer WD-40 on Alum. and copper.
Bandsaw runs dry
Cutting oil increases the cutting action,Lube oil decreases cutting action.
Just my 2 cents
Tim

Try as a test tapping 8-32 in 304 stainless, 4 holes with any other oil and 4 holes with MollyDee. Try that same test in 1018.

There have been very few real eye openers for me in the shop, one was the first time I saw a display of what an insert milling cutter will do, and the second was a job where I had a few thousand 10-24 taps to do in 1018 3/16" thick plate. It soon became clear that we were going to spend more money on taps than we would make on the job, then I tried MolyDee and got the remaining holes All tapped with one tap!

For steel, I buy this for less than $5 a bottle at Menards and Home Depot. I prefer the clear cutting oil to the dark. Seems to leave a better finish for me.

cutting oil resized.jpg

For aluminum I use good old WD-40. It's cheap, works great, and almost everyone has some already anyway!

GG

Try as a test tapping 8-32 in 304 stainless, 4 holes with any other oil and 4 holes with MollyDee. Try that same test in 1018.

There have been very few real eye openers for me in the shop, one was the first time I saw a display of what an insert milling cutter will do, and the second was a job where I had a few thousand 10-24 taps to do in 1018 3/16" thick plate. It soon became clear that we were going to spend more money on taps than we would make on the job, then I tried MolyDee and got the remaining holes All tapped with one tap!

For us it was 4-40 taps in 17-4 castings. Each one was a special adventure!

I use all different kinds of cutting oils fluids to include water based fluids. If I had to pick just on that I could use and was in a budget it would be an easy choice. In the past I have used Chain/Bar lube, this is very cost effective and works very well for milling/drilling/turning and most tapping. As you can imagine this oil /lube is used at very high RPMs and being worked, getting hot a well to help cutting. Granted you are cutting wood but the lube/oil is being used for the bar/chain interaction. You can by this at your big stores on every corner for 10 bucks a gallon or under, it has worked for me for years when needed. Just a thought for your consideration.

For what it's worth..
I just retired from GM engineering lab.
As a machine lube, we used a 50/50 mix of WD40 and ATF. Great results for turning and general machining. I won't be without it, in my shop.
Now that is interesting. Never would have thought of that. My Dad was an upholster as well as backyard mechanic and he used ATF for everything from sewing machine to squeaky hinges. What is it about the combination that makes the difference?

A few days ago I bought a quart of Thread Cutting Oil from my local Ace Hardware. It seems to work OK in all metals I have tried it on, both drilling and tapping. Have not used it for other cutting, but it should work fine. A bit expensive at$12.95, but it just takes a few drops. The big box stores also carry cutting oils.

As a side note, I also bought a Plews oil can to put it in. Not very happy with it, the trigger sticks out way too far for a comfortable grip, and with a little oil on things your hand slides right to the top. Poor design, almost not usable.....I'll give this one a fail.

50-595.jpg
That oil can is hilarious.

50-595.jpg

50-595.jpg

50-595.jpg

50-595.jpg

50-595.jpg

An ancient old, crotchety, machinist told me to use Marvel Mystery Oil as cutting oil. The stuff is brilliant. Thick enough to stay on spinning parts, dissipates heat nicely, and has kept my bits nice and sharp. The stuff is available just about anywhere.

Back