• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

MON Dads Monarch 10EE - what should I do?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

dadsmachines2018

Swarf
Registered Member
My wonderful Electrical Engineer dad is now in that big workshop in the sky and I am trying to decide what to do with his Monarch 10EE. It is not frozen. Colletts are there. Needs belts and electrical work. Is there anyone in the Allentown area of PA that could have a look? I don't know if I should just gift it to someone or if it has enough value that I should be selling it. The guy buying my parents house says I can leave it. Anyone have any idea what a machine in this condition is worth? I want to do what would make my dad happy. He loved his machines and I know it would make him super happy to have it restored and used. He would also be really ticked if I gave it away for nothing when I should be selling. My husband can't help me on this one. He knows all about vintage music gear but nothing about machines. I have been reading up and it sounds like the Monarch 10EE is revered by many. Any advice would be helpful!

Attachments

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Iam to far away to help, unfortunately. However there is at least one live steam, miniature railroad club near Allentown, that will have a large number of members who are hobby machinists, and make steam engines with lathes. Iam pretty sure you could contact the local club and ask for assistance in assessing the machine.

monarchs are indeed prized in the machinist world. Particularity if they are not worn out and well cared for.

Regards,
Glenn

Cooter Brown

That is an amazing machine to own. If you are looking to sell it please PM me.

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
First, I am sorry for your loss.

Many people consider Monarch one of the true great quality lathes.

Of course, condition and attachments are important too. The collet draw tube on yours (with the hand-wheel on the floor off the left end) certainly has some surface rust. What shape are the ways in? The fact that the gears look complete and you have so many collets certainly raises the price.

The guy buying my parents house says I can leave it.
He may see the value in it and is hoping to get it free/cheap.
Of course, having to remove it from the basement is a job too.

I would recommend get a price range from here, then advertise it locally for a couple hundred less with the understanding that the buyer must remove it. I bet you'd come away making money on that deal.

-brino

dadsmachines2018

Swarf
Registered Member
First, I am sorry for your loss.

Many people consider Monarch one of the true great quality lathes.

Of course, condition and attachments are important too. The collet draw tube on yours (with the hand-wheel on the floor off the left end) certainly has some surface rust. What shape are the ways in? The fact that the gears look complete and you have so many collets certainly raises the price.

He may see the value in it and is hoping to get it free/cheap.
Of course, having to remove it from the basement is a job too.

I would recommend get a price range from here, then advertise it locally for a couple hundred less with the understanding that the buyer must remove it. I bet you'd come away making money on that deal.

-brino
Thanks for taking time to look at photos. The lathe
definitely needs TLC. Its in the garage so that makes getting it out easier. I was thinking it was probably worth around $1500 and was ok with it staying with the house but then started researching and the prices on these are all over the place so I was hoping to find someone who could help me understand it's value better.

Doubleeboy

Active User
Round dial machine that is a project I would take the $1500 and be done with it. Might be a good deal for someone but it looks like a project. That said the collet nose piece is worth bucks as are the collets if they are USA made, so no sense in going much lower than that unless you need it out there real quick.

Karl_T

I agree, $1500 should move it quickly. And it would be fair to tell the buyer he is responsible for loading. Put it up here and on craigs list. if that don't go, put it on ebay. might also join and list it on practical machinist web site/ LOTS of 10EE nuts there.

Karl_T

I agree, $1500 should move it quickly. And it would be fair to tell the buyer he is responsible for loading. Put it up here and on craigs list. if that don't go, put it on ebay. might also join and list it on practical machinist web site/ LOTS of 10EE nuts there.

Dave Paine

I only just saw this thread. I am about 30 mins from Allentown. I can take a look if you still need someone to visit. FYI, I have no experience in Monarch lathes. I can take more pictures and perhaps operate the lathe, but I have no idea on the value.

b335249

Swarf
Registered Member
Even in this condition it is worth the $1500 others are saying. This is the holy grail of small lathes. Just go on Ebay and look at what they are bringing after restoring! I did not see the DC motor but the trend now is to rework with a VFD and inverter rated 3 phase motor. (I have a 1942 that I'm restoring)
Good luck with the project!

Cal Haines

Staff member
$1500 seems reasonable to me as well. It looks like the spindle motor is missing, so it's very much a project.

I can see a steady rest peeking out from the photo of the collets. The steady rest and the collet nose are each worth over $200 a piece.

Silverbullet

The motor unit looks to be out of it , even so your $1,500 is not much for all that's there. I wouldn't let anyone low ball you. Your more then fair on that holy grail lathe. They are prized possession of machinist . Your father had a good eye for lathes. If you gift it I hope they repair and use the lathe. Not just scrap it or part it out.
Very sorry to hear you dad past , mines been gone twenty years about and I sure miss him.I'm in Jersey if I had any money I'd buy it but SS sucks and they pave the road to death . No chance for me ever to get one .

Last edited:
[6]
[5] [7]