Dam4 The Torpedos

A hot blue chip lands in your ear and tool bit is close to the chuck. What do you do?

• Listen as it sizzles in your ear and suck it up to save the piece?

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Pop the carriage lever immediately, ruin the finish then deal with your ear?

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Just run away, let the lathe crash and swear-off machining forever?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blink a lot so you can still see well enough to save the part?

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Back-out the slide, stop the machine and try to save the piece later?

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Swear a lot as you listen to it sizzle but save the piece?

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Swear a lot and crash the lathe?

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Try to reach your right hear with your left hand (keeping right hand on lever) to flick off chip?

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Stop what you're doing, stick finger in ear and burn the fingertip too?

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
Have had a hot chip drop right into the nose piece on my glasses from above and start burning. Immediately stop the machine and threw my glasses onto the bench. And pulled the chip loose. Nose area near the eye was blistered for a week. Can always blend in the cut on the part but health is more important. Just glad it stopped against the nose piece and didn't make it to the eye.

the worst one i got was from flame cutting overhead.
i had all the PPE on,
but i made the mistake of having my left, gloved, hand at my side.
a glowing dingleberry dropped into my glove, on the backside of my left hand.
i immediately flung the glove off in one motion, like a windmill karate chop,
but it was too late, i had a long strange looking scar on the back of my hand for a decade after
now my hands just look like 4x4 roadmaps and you can't see but a few spots of the original scar.

i also had an incident with a flame rig and concrete,
another glowing dingleberry sent some hot spalled concrete down the back of my overalls that i couldn't get off fast enough.
that was good times too. i still smell that in my sleep sometimes

Early on in my "fabrication" schooling, (school of hard knocks, mostly), I was underneath a truck, cutting rivets off that held the crossmember. I hit the lever a little too soon, the cut plunged ALMOST all the way thru the rivet, and reversed course. The sound of boiling ear wax is etched permanently on my brain. I did not feel the two knots on my head until hours later. Got no idea how they got there.

Still have scars on my wrist from this one Was welding, had on jacket gloves etc, but for some reason I had let the jacket pull up my arm and had not pulled it back down. Had on a watch, Some how got some hot slag or something down the back of the glove and under the watch, I was on about a 20 foot scaffold welding roofing braces on a friends barn when this happened. Still managed to get everything set aside and gear off in one heck of a hurry, no longer wear a watch when doing anything like that. Will not repeat the word said at the time.

That reminds me...
Not my problem but I witnessed it. I was working with a small crew on a concrete pour. one of the other guys picked up the torch to cut some re-rod. (this was in the 60's before OSHA) we'd been given safety glasses, but it was our option to wear them. As he struck the light I noticed what he was doing and didn't have his glasses on. I hollered at him to put them on, and he did. He started cutting, got ahead of the burn and it backfired, cut a half a groove and shot the molten steel into his right safety glass lens. He thanked me for a couple of weeks on that one.

To many times to count. The worst was rebuilding, and reinforcing packer bodies on trash trucks back in the mid 70's. Lots of overhead welding, and cutting. Down the neck, in the boot, in the glove, in the ear, coveralls on fire, pretty much the whole enchilada. It is amazing how fast one can move when required. Mike

To many times to count. The worst was rebuilding, and reinforcing packer bodies on trash trucks back in the mid 70's. Lots of overhead welding, and cutting. Down the neck, in the boot, in the glove, in the ear, coveralls on fire, pretty much the whole enchilada. It is amazing how fast one can move when required. Mike
Mike, I worked for 10 years in the county equipment shop (as a parts guy, not a mechanic) and got to live all of that. Refuse trucks that had been in the shop loaded for a couple days, maggots dropping off one after another on the floor where the guys were working, having to plate the hoppers when they were worn out, a very special smell, not to mention squirting hydraulic fluid, diesel fumes, Detroit 2 strokes getting tuned up including setting the high idle with the air boxes off. I don't know if I lost more hearing from playing LOUD blues and rock and roll, working in equipment shops, shooting guns, or flying old taildragger aircraft with no mufflers or sound insulation. What's that ya say? o_O

I got a bad burn recently on my foot because I thought the slag would eventually stop burning. I should have stopped and removed my shoe.

I regretted the poor decision to carry on because I was reminded of it daily for the 6 weeks it took for that wound to get well! So once again, I learned that my health and safety is way more important than a piece of metal I am working.
Happens to me often. Have scars to prove it.

Early on in my "fabrication" schooling, (school of hard knocks, mostly), I was underneath a truck, cutting rivets off that held the crossmember. I hit the lever a little too soon, the cut plunged ALMOST all the way thru the rivet, and reversed course. The sound of boiling ear wax is etched permanently on my brain. I did not feel the two knots on my head until hours later. Got no idea how they got there.
Hey you earned the name knothead. Good handle if you were into cb radio

Back