Damaged Hf 20t Shop Press

SE18

Active User
Registered
I stupidly damaged the apron of my shop press by putting an odd shaped object on it.

So I'm thinking how to fix it.

1. Just flip the apron around so the damaged part is on the bottom?

2. Take a rose bud, heat the areas and pound them back

3. Weld reinforcing steel to both sides and then flip over

it seems like #3 might be best as #1 and #2 will still leave the apron in a weakened condition.

Your thoughts? Thanks

IMG_1101.JPG

Also option 4. Leave it like it is and use it, it doesn't look like the inner corners of the channel are damaged, so it should still press squarely... Any of your ideas will work. For heavy work it might be better to flip it and have the damaged areas in tension rather than in compression.

Thanks; in the future, I guess I better stick to using those black lead weights to rest my work on rather than directly on the apron; it really made a loud popping sound when the bend occured

Go buy some C-channel a little heavier and make a new boster plate. Or get you two pieces of 1" x 6" flat bar and use in place of the channel.
Since the channel has been damaged and if you flip it over try to use, I suspect it will yield somewhat quicker before you get up to high load intended to reach.
Just my two bucks worth. Ken

I would get some channel and replace it with new.
SP14.JPG SP18.JPG

This is the apron/table that I made for my press. Just channel with 1/2 inch bolts in 7/8 sleeves.

Jim, that's nice work. I like how you joined them instead of a brace weld. I might copy that design. I need to buy some channel anyway.

Can you give me the dimensions of your channel? Mine is 20T so it would need to be able to do that.

SE18 -
The channel I used was 4 inch which meant 4 inch wide with flanges at 1.644" and about 0.25 thickness.
I drilled the four 1/2 inch holes in each channel and then made up sleeves from 7/8 CRR stock that were the width of the uprights.
When bolted together they keep the side parallel but don't bind on the uprights.
I have attached a pdf of the apron/table.
The rest of the build is in the Member's Projects section.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/shop-press.50339/
If you have a need for the rest of the drawings, give me a shout and I can send them directly.
Jim

Attachments

• ShopPress5.pdf
    306.1 KB · Views: 6
Back