Damaged Hf 20t Shop Press

Thanks for the PDF and I viewed the thread. I assume you drilled thru the channels back to back to match up the holes.

Nope. My mill (Grizzly 0755) is not big enough to do both.
Just measured (DRO makes it easier) and drilled each separately.

I have a piece of heavy plate setting on my shop press table. It spreads the load out. It has a 1 1/2 hole through it that takes care of most of the stuff I do and can be easily removed if it gets in the way.

If you make a new one, I would suggest 5" (C5 X 6.7) or 6" (6 X 8.2) But I really think it could be flipped over (I'm Cheap) as long as it is still straight.

fixit

Here's what I've finally decided to do. I'm going to buy a 21' piece of heavy duty channel (b/c that's the only length my metal shop sells it). I need a lot of the channel for making some 2' gauge locomotives for the (buffers) bumpers where the link and pin go. There will be enough left over for the shop press.

In the meantime, I'm going to straighten out the C apron with a rosebud and flip it over and use it until it fails. If it fails, perhaps due to undetected stresses on the steel from the collapse in four places (the only visible damage), I will use the pdf Jim sent as a blueprint for a new apron

Here's what I've finally decided to do. I'm going to buy a 21' piece of heavy duty channel (b/c that's the only length my metal shop sells it). I need a lot of the channel for making some 2' gauge locomotives for the (buffers) bumpers where the link and pin go. There will be enough left over for the shop press.

In the meantime, I'm going to straighten out the C apron with a rosebud and flip it over and use it until it fails. If it fails, perhaps due to undetected stresses on the steel from the collapse in four places (the only visible damage), I will use the pdf Jim sent as a blueprint for a new apron

For your 20t I would scale the bolts up to 3/4 grade 8 and the sleeves to fit.

update: just purchased a 20', 260lb C that is 6x13 for $166, tax included from BMG metals in Manassas/Bristow VA

I didn't need to ask for a cut which is $20, since I purchased over $150, they deliver free so the truck will swing by Friday.

The stipulation being I've got to unload it myself. I'm nearing 60 yrs old so hopefully I can just slide her off. as backup, I have rope and the ball on my pickup to drag it off the truck. I do not know what size truck it will be. I'll try and remember to take a photo. I'm excited, as I always wanted channel to do railroad projects

Hydraulic presses deserve far more respect than they get.

People are frequently killed when things go,awry.

I would throw that piece in the scrap bin and order a new one.

I'll probably build a cage around it to prevent flying debris. Has anyone ever done that? I think that's the biggest hazard

Back