Dating my vintage craftsman 12inch . My first day on the site.

kendion2boston

Registered
Registered
I just bought a 12inch. I'd like to see if anyone can date it and answer a few questions I have so far... can I attach pics?? Should so it with this post? It's my first time here .
I've been cleaning it up. It has decent paint so I'm trying to keep it original..

Welcome aboard, Sir.

Most Craftsman machines built after WW2 were built by Atlas. There were some smaller ones, 6 inch, with a 109.54321 part number. Mine is a 12 X 36 (101.27440) from around 1952-ish. Somewhere on the frame of the machine will be a Sears model number, 101.12345 or somesuch. That number will put you into a 4 or 5 year period. With the part number, things can be crossed to Atlas part numbers and the rabbit hole gets deep, quickly. Beyond that, headstock bearings are another give away. Flat or roller bearings, with OEM roller bearings often having a build date engraved on them. The 12 inch Craftsman machines are almost identical to 10 inch Atlas machines.

Some info can be gleamed from the tags and stampings, but the most conclusive “date” I’ve seen in my TH42 (10”) was the etched dates on the headstock bearings.

unfortunately, to check, the spindle/shaft has to be removed.

I’m not sure if the 12”-ers are marked like the 10’s, so someone else will have to chine in on that one….

Post your question in the Atlas section. The moderator there (Robert) is an expert at dating Atlas/Craftsman lathes. There is also a long thread there with a log of serial numbers and production dates.

Welcome from a fellow newbie!

I've seen a few of the Craftsmans on Eb**, but I definitely wouldn't be the one to help you identify your lathe.

But enjoy it! Making chips is an addictive (and expensive) habit!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, Sir.

Most Craftsman machines built after WW2 were built by Atlas. There were some smaller ones, 6 inch, with a 109.54321 part number. Mine is a 12 X 36 (101.27440) from around 1952-ish. Somewhere on the frame of the machine will be a Sears model number, 101.12345 or somesuch. That number will put you into a 4 or 5 year period. With the part number, things can be crossed to Atlas part numbers and the rabbit hole gets deep, quickly. Beyond that, headstock bearings are another give away. Flat or roller bearings, with OEM roller bearings often having a build date engraved on them. The 12 inch Craftsman machines are almost identical to 10 inch Atlas machines.

Thanks. Mine I. 101.07403. I think 12x42?? I've. I'm oretty sure I do Not have babbitt bearings. I say that because mine doesn't have the two screws on the head stock on each side of the oil drop. I'm guessing it's 1940s. It's blue and has the craftsman logo where the "C'" runners under the word 'craftsman '. If this info helps with a definite date?
Also I took off the lead screw ,apron ect to clean. I noticed at the end if my lead screw where it attaches to the lathe and the lead screw drips to a smaller size ,, I don't have a nut at the end? Is that important??? If so.do you know what size ? Or where i can purchase ?

Back