Dating my vintage craftsman 12inch . My first day on the site.

@kendion2boston

Please provide any numbers from the lathe badges, or anything other numbers on the machine.
That will help with ID and dating.
Pictures would be great.

There are also a number of documents available in PDF form here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=51&tab=3

That page also includes a few different versions of the Atlas "Manual of Lathe Operation" (MOLO):
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=17437

Brian
Thanks for replying. Its has omd school logo. Even older than my 150 drill press. I think it's the 30s-40s early. Where the "c" runs under the word 'craftsman ' I noticed I can attach files. I may have pick. It's 101.07403 or 101.7043. I forget I think the latter. It's a older older model. But I'm happy to have it. Going through and cleaning it is giving a great opportunity to learn about its function and I'm finding a few minor parts or screws missing. I was able to replace two already with old spares I had in a old cigar box full of screws I bought at a yard sale for 2 dollars. It was iff a older guy who smoked the 'tipperillos ' with the white article mouth piece. Lol. I was told new parts were still made for these units. Is that true? or wishful hoping , kind of like a big foot sighting?? Lol. Thanks for responding and ilk look forward to interacting wirh all of you.. I'm very glad I found this page. Does everyone also go to Facebook. Sorry I meant Metta? Lol.

Ken

Does this help with the 101.7403. 12x42 . I measured from under the chuck against the headstock till end of the ways. It was 42inch. Then the headstock and gears/pullys were all behind on the back. So I assume 12x42. Is the the proper way to measure it?

I see myself having many more questions as my mini refresh of this dirty, greasy old lathe continues. . The carriage ect moved with the power feed but not good. The bed was sticky ect. So I hope my work pays off. Also , I think I need a nut or something at the end of the lead screw?? Where thr diameter drops and is held up with a 2 screw bracket. There nothing on mine. Is that important? The sceew did have some.play. does that have a name? Can I use any old nut that fits?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20221130_193344.jpg
    20221130_193344.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 9
Welcome to the forum. We are a friendly bunch. Don't be afraid to ask any question no matter how simple you may think it is. You will get good answers to your questions.

Lathes are referred to by the distance between centers. Not bed length. For example my Craftsman lathe is a 12x36. The distance from the headstock to the end on the bed is just short of 47." The overall bed length on my lathe is 54." Beds are measured by the total length of the bed. Not from the headstock to the end of the bed. Based on what you have provided your lathe is probably a 12x30 or 12x24.

You should donate to the forum. That will give you access to the documents section. Well worth the nominal cost. I was making the annual donation and then realized that in a few years I would have donated the same amount as a life membership donation. So I paid the extra money and am now a life member.

Our resident expert should chime in here shortly and can answer all of your questions about your lathe.

I use mineral spirits in a spray bottle to keep my lathe clean. Different parts require different oils and grease for proper lubrication. The MOLO acronym for Manual of Lathe Operations is a must have. It will tell you how to maintain, setup and care for your lathe. It is available in the downloads section of the forum.

There are lots of good sources for learning how to use your lathe. IMHO Mr. Pete aka Tubalcain is the best of the best. He is a retired high school shop teacher and knows how to teach. If you haven't been to his you tube channel here is a link. https://www.youtube.com/c/mrpete222/videos

Welcome to the forum. We are a friendly bunch. Don't be afraid to ask any question no matter how simple you may think it is. You will get good answers to your questions.

Lathes are referred to by the distance between centers. Not bed length. For example my Craftsman lathe is a 12x36. The distance from the headstock to the end on the bed is just short of 47." The overall bed length on my lathe is 54." Beds are measured by the total length of the bed. Not from the headstock to the end of the bed. Based on what you have provided your lathe is probably a 12x30 or 12x24.

You should donate to the forum. That will give you access to the documents section. Well worth the nominal cost. I was making the annual donation and then realized that in a few years I would have donated the same amount as a life membership donation. So I paid the extra money and am now a life member.

Our resident expert should chime in here shortly and can answer all of your questions about your lathe.

I use mineral spirits in a spray bottle to keep my lathe clean. Different parts require different oils and grease for proper lubrication. The MOLO acronym for Manual of Lathe Operations is a must have. It will tell you how to maintain, setup and care for your lathe. It is available in the downloads section of the forum.

There are lots of good sources for learning how to use your lathe. IMHO Mr. Pete aka Tubalcain is the best of the best. He is a retired high school shop teacher and knows how to teach. If you haven't been to his you tube channel here is a link. https://www.youtube.com/c/mrpete222/videos
It bigger than 12x 36. The bed from under the tail stock to the end is 42 I belive. I measured when I bought it a few weeks back I'll remeasure when I get home tonight. It definitely larger than 34 or 36 inch

If the bed is 42” it is a 24” center to center. Yes the nut is required. The leadscrew will move back and forth without the nuts in place. I believe it is a 1/2” by 20 but I could be wrong on that. Check it first. There is usually 2 nuts that are tightened together. You have to not tighten the nut to the bracket. There should also be a washer there as well.

12x36 is the swing, 12", by the distance between centers, 36". The bed is longer because there has to be room for the head stock and the tailstock. Beds are measured for their total length. Measure from the far left end of the bed that is under the head stock all the way to the far right end that is under the tailstock. This will give you the bed length. See picture below of my lathe. Put centers in the head stock and the tailstock. With the tail stock at the far end of the bed measure the distance between the centers. This will be the distance between centers. I don't have a picture of my lathe with the tail stock at the far end of the bed.

In any hobby the terminology can be confusing. Hope this helps you understand the difference between bed length and the distance between centers. The distance between centers is the important distance because it denotes the maximum length that can be turned on the lathe.

IMG_4038 bed length.jpg

If the bed is 42” it is a 24” center to center. Yes the nut is required. The leadscrew will move back and forth without the nuts in place. I believe it is a 1/2” by 20 but I could be wrong on that. Check it first. There is usually 2 nuts that are tightened together. You have to not tighten the nut to the bracket. There should also be a washer there as well.
Thank u all been great .. im to to the unit. Havnet even turned yet or triedn.
I measured the bed from under the chuck to the end by the tail stock . Was the correct or should I measure? 1/2 x 20. I'll try. If ot isn't what would be ? It looks like a 1/2. Could it finer threads? It more fine than the lead screw for sure

Use a ruler and measure the threads over 1/2”. Will be 10 turns in 1/2”. The leadscrew is 8 tpi. 8 turns in 1 inch.

Back