Dave Ramsey is rolling his eyes...

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
20 years ago I bought some grade 12.9 m6 low head cap screws for $5 a pound. Various lengths. I had no use for them and had no earthly clue what I would use them for. I must have wasted $3.

Fast forward a couple decades or so..... the screws in my old HF 5" vise are made of moldy cheese. Won't go in or out and stripped easily. I drill off the head and remove the left over with pliers.

The only screw that replaced those screws perfectly were the 16mm long low head cap screws I wasted money on all those years ago. Ordering new ones on line would have cost a significant percentage of the cost of the vise.

There are zero hardware stores that would have them within 100 miles and then the search would exceed the cost of the vise.

I know I may never use many of the screws I have but having them has been exceptionally helpful so often and I don't even think about it much of the time.

I've scrapped out some machines and have kept the fasteners. Mostly SHCS in metric. I've save plastic, squarish jars and put each diameter in a jar with a printed label. Well worth the effort. A lot fewer trips to the hardware dept and way cheaper. Because of my metric supply and the ease of using metric measuring I now use that system most of the time. Don't even have to look up the tap hole size since it is major dia. - pitch.

I spent money I didn't have to on something I might have never used.....

Let's call it horder investing....lol
For the cost of shipping , Ill load up those empty bins . :grin: Beats burying them or running them to the scrapper .

For the cost of shipping , Ill load up those empty bins . :grin: Beats burying them or running them to the scrapper .
Lol! Better look closer. They aren't empty! It took a long time to get where I am.

I do have some sizes I need to fill if you happen to have spares. Lol!

Last edited:
Back