Dave Ramsey is rolling his eyes...

20 years ago I bought some grade 12.9 m6 low head cap screws for $5 a pound. Various lengths. I had no use for them and had no earthly clue what I would use them for. I must have wasted $3.

Fast forward a couple decades or so..... the screws in my old HF 5" vise are made of moldy cheese. Won't go in or out and stripped easily. I drill off the head and remove the left over with pliers.

The only screw that replaced those screws perfectly were the 16mm long low head cap screws I wasted money on all those years ago. Ordering new ones on line would have cost a significant percentage of the cost of the vise.

There are zero hardware stores that would have them within 100 miles and then the search would exceed the cost of the vise.

I know I may never use many of the screws I have but having them has been exceptionally helpful so often and I don't even think about it much of the time.
I bought a box of 500 Schrader valves at a trunk sale for $5 back in the early 90s.

Still have most of them but the first pack of 5 I went through paid for the whole box.

I bought a box of 500 Schrader valves at a trunk sale for $5 back in the early 90s.

Still have most of them but the first pack of 5 I went through paid for the whole box.
Used to have dozens of Schrader valve core tools, they all disappeared. Where to? No idea. Probably hiding in some box, laughing at me. Had to make a valve core tool recently because I couldn't find any.

Got a big box of different waxes including three or four pounds of pure carnauba, so far, haven't found a good use for them. Haven't found a good recipe for carnauba wax with materials that I could get these days. I think you can mix it with beeswax and turpentine to form a decent softer wax, but have no idea what the formulation is. I got the wax from my Grandfather who used to make all sorts of things, from waxes to paint in his hardware store.

True! It's a good thing I live within 15 minutes of 3 hardware stores, so I can get what I need. It's just nice to not have to go to the store.

Our hardware stores are pretty decent but they are not as comprehensive as they could be.

yes it is...
but I can't figure out what it has to do with Dave Ramsey? Or why
Don't feel bad. I not only don't know what it has to do with Dave Ramsey, I don't know who he is. Should I get out more?

Don't feel bad. I not only don't know what it has to do with Dave Ramsey, I don't know who he is. Should I get out more?
Everyone tells me I should buy what I need when I need it. I'm a prepper from way back. I buy what I think I'll need to have it before I need it. Dave Ramsey is a money management guru who would not approve. Lol

Everyone tells me I should buy what I need when I need it. I'm a prepper from way back. I buy what I think I'll need to have it before I need it. Dave Ramsey is a money management guru who would not approve. Lol
The reason he is so successful is that he sells a book you don't need, which is the height of irony.

Our hardware stores are pretty decent but they are not as comprehensive as they could be.
Also true! I needed some (6 max) special set screws for a boring head and had to buy 50. Good thing I have a organizer drawer! Actually, I think I keep them in a polybag with the boring head.

I will generally try to design around commonly available fasteners and hardware, and that includes what's in my stash. If I have to buy something special, I am usually tempted (or required) to get more than I need, as it's not cost-effective to order just one. That's too bad, because it's such a waste to order 50 when only need 6.

Back