DC treadmill motor wiring info needed

Jerico, where you at? I may be able to help you figure it out. I'm in E. TN.

Chuck

Hi.I use this kb drive.It works much better for machine use.
Do not go by the HP rating on a treadmill motor,go by the dc amps draw.
+1. Trash the drive that's in the treadmill. It was almost certainly set up to be as cheap as possible, although I know of a few exceptions.

Get yourself a KB Electronics DC motor drive and don't look back. The KBLC-19PM is intended for driving permanent magnet (... PM...) motors, and is commonly available from ebay surplus sellers for $25 - $50. It's an industrial rated and supplied controller. There is a fair amount of experience in using these for treadmill motor conversions on lathes in the 9x20lathe group on yahoo.

And be really, really careful with all your wiring. This stuff can kill you. I *am* a professional at power electronics - although not at machining. :D

I skimmed over the manual?????????? Your motor is a 1HP buy a resister to match.

Last edited:
Just checked. There are a number of the KBLC's on ebay for $40-$50. There are even some 240V rated ones for more money.

Jerico, where you at? I may be able to help you figure it out. I'm in E. TN.

Chuck

Chuck

I live about 35 miles west of Chattanooga. Right now I'm sitting in my mother-in-laws living room about 7 miles east of Sevierville on Newport highway.Are you talking about the original controller or the better versions.We're here quite often and I may want to "work" you for that info. I'm bidding on one of the controllers others have suggested and will see shortly whether I can get it.I think everyone knows more about this from an electronics side than I do. I can do normal home and industrial AC wiring but this is a new bird for me. Got the motors so economically and their size is suitable for several applications.

+1. Trash the drive that's in the treadmill. It was almost certainly set up to be as cheap as possible, although I know of a few exceptions.

Get yourself a KB Electronics DC motor drive and don't look back. The KBLC-19PM is intended for driving permanent magnet (... PM...) motors, and is commonly available from eBay surplus sellers for $25 - $50. It's an industrial rated and supplied controller. There is a fair amount of experience in using these for treadmill motor conversions on lathes in the 9x20lathe group on yahoo.

And be really, really careful with all your wiring. This stuff can kill you. I *am* a professional at power electronics - although not at machining. :D

I currently have two suggestions for the KB electronic drives 1).KB Electronics KBCC-125R DC .....2).KBLC-19PM...Am I wrong in assuming both are powered 120 V AC and both have variable DC output?

Are there substantial differences in the two? i have two DC motors rated as 2.25 HP ,10 Amp 90 VDC and the other is I think 1 HP 10 Amp 120 VDC. Can I run both motors ( stand alone mind you ) with either KB motor drive? I'm hoping both suggestions come from experience with a particular model as being successful . The KBLC 19 PM has a 12 amp rating with additional heat sink . While I can find heat sinks in salvage,nothing says where to attach it. The devil is in the details as usual.

Thanks to all.

Jerico,
I'm taklking about the origional controller. I have "Freecycled" several treadmills. Got real lucky with 2, they had the famous MC-60 controller.
Most tread mill controllers have a 3 wire connection to a speed control pot. AC input, and DC out to the motor. I have an MC-60 controller and 2.5 hp motor running my X2 mill at the moment. Still in a "cobbled together to try it" state, but functional. So far, I like it and am considering spiffing it up a bit and making it permanent.
I'm near Kingsport, just off I81. I am on spring break next week, but have company until Thursday. Plus, I'm retiring in May, so will have time to assist if you need it.

Chuck

Hi.I use this kb drive.It works much better for machine use.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KB-Electron...487?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f150fd00f

You can get a manual here--
http://www.kbelectronics.com/Variable_Speed_DC_Drives/DC_Drives_Chassis.htm

Do not go by the HP rating on a treadmill motor,go by the dc amps draw.

Bill L.
Bill,
I won the eBay item you recommended. Found a site that offers the resistors and near as I can figure the .01 resistor is proper. Apparently the motor is overrated HP wise for the 10 amp draw and the manual says if the ratings overlap use the lessor resistor. Would that be the right conclusion ? I like that it has a reverse function as an option and the braking capabilities etc. If I needed it for some applications, that seems a plus over other models. Will be out of town a couple of weeks and it should be waiting for me when I return.

Jerico,
I'm taklking about the origional controller. I have "Freecycled" several treadmills. Got real lucky with 2, they had the famous MC-60 controller.
Most tread mill controllers have a 3 wire connection to a speed control pot. AC input, and DC out to the motor. I have an MC-60 controller and 2.5 hp motor running my X2 mill at the moment. Still in a "cobbled together to try it" state, but functional. So far, I like it and am considering spiffing it up a bit and making it permanent.
I'm near Kingsport, just off I81. I am on spring break next week, but have company until Thursday. Plus, I'm retiring in May, so will have time to assist if you need it.

Chuck

This gets better by the post. My daughter lives in Kingsport with her family.Her hubby works for Eastman and we go there every couple of months for visits.I have another controller bought but I would still like to make the original one work so I can have two dedicated motors for some projects on the pile.Will be getting back to you in the future for some help.
much thanks,
Jasper
P.S.Like the "freecycled" designation. I'm a junkyard junkie.

Jerico,
PM me when you're up this way again. We'll hook up!

Chuck

Back