Deburring Wheels Education Needed

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys there are times that I read about people using deburring wheels for taking off an edge,I think for polishing metal I guess for removing rust.I went over on the auction site and did a search which alot of them pop up,I have to say that looking at the pictures they look like grinding wheels with different grit.I think that this is a tool that will speed up things,and I have afew bench type grinders that I would like to setup,but which ones???Can someone explain what the uses are, maybe which ones for polishing or general cleaning and for removing the sharp edge,ones to stay away from?I know nothing about these which I really don't know what to ask,maybe a link to some information.Thanks---kroll

Note: Just watch a Utube of 3M's bristle brushes,thats neat

Last edited:
Intriguing topic! I do not know how to answer this question myself but have to admit that I found the 3M bristle brush quite amazing. The question now is where can I get me one of these?

BTW, which video did you watch? I found a bunch while googling!

Deburring wheels are like scotch brite pads but much denser. And they come in some different grits too. I have two of them and would be lost without these tools. A quick buff and some cold blue( which works better applied to warm parts) and it's good to go most of the time.
I even buffed an old CZ 27 that was in need of a refinish and using a hot air gun to warm the parts after the degreasing,put the cold blue on with some old t-shirt material held in a pair of forcips. The fellow who I got it from thought it was a different gun. I never have done it "right". Don't need to.
The Deburring wheels help keep your lines straight too. You can round an edge but you almost have to want to do it.

Guys there are times that I read about people using deburring wheels for taking off an edge,I think for polishing metal I guess for removing rust.I went over on the auction site and did a search which alot of them pop up,I have to say that looking at the pictures they look like grinding wheels with different grit.I think that this is a tool that will speed up things,and I have afew bench type grinders that I would like to setup,but which ones???Can someone explain what the uses are, maybe which ones for polishing or general cleaning and for removing the sharp edge,ones to stay away from?I know nothing about these which I really don't know what to ask,maybe a link to some information.Thanks---kroll

Note: Just watch a Utube of 3M's bristle brushes,thats neat

You might be talking about the abrasive wheels that are grinding wheel sizes. I have used these for many years. The ones I am thinking about are made from a hard plastic mesh (think Scotchbrite pads), to which abrasive has been bonded. For deburring I use the smallest grit size. These wheels excel at deburring difficult materials like stainless. The wheels come with two main abrasive types: Aluminum Oxide and Silicon Carbide. I prefer the SiC. You can expect to pay $50-60 for a 1 inch wide by 6 inch dia. for the SiC. If you will be doing a lot of rust removal, you will need to mount the wheel on a grinder that has access to the wheel, like a polishing grinder. By the way, the top dog manufacturer is 3M they call their wheels Scothbrite Wheels. My favorite deburring wheel is their SST. I hope this helps.:phew:

Another wheel that you might consider is from a company called Cratex. Their wheels are made of a dense rubber with fine grit embedded in it. They are wonderful for deburring and polishing. They also make deburring tips that attach to mandrels that can be mounted in Dremel tools or die grinders. Cratex wheels and tips tend to be of much finer grit than Scotchbrite products so might be a bit better for fine polishing, but heavy deburring or corner rounding will wear the wheels down pretty quickly.

I do a lot of light fab work making "cosmetic' parts, so finish is often important. My personal favorite wheels are NORTON BEAR-TEX unified wheels. I like them a lot better than Scotch brite wheels. They can be tough to find. I get mine from MSC, but I'm sure there are other suppliers. Pay attention to the hole diameter when you order. There are several and you want to get the right one. I use the general purpose wheels although there are also more aggressive de-burring wheels.

I do a lot of light fab work making "cosmetic' parts, so finish is often important. My personal favorite wheels are NORTON BEAR-TEX unified wheels. I like them a lot better than Scotch brite wheels. They can be tough to find. I get mine from MSC, but I'm sure there are other suppliers. Pay attention to the hole diameter when you order. There are several and you want to get the right one. I use the general purpose wheels although there are also more aggressive de-burring wheels.

I also need to add this tidbit: do not use Al Oxide abrasive on Alum parts if they get anodized later. The imbedded Al Oxide affects the plating. I like the Norton stuff too. I usually get a 1" arbor hole and use the plastic sleeve adapters that usually come with them (better check). Most of my arbor shafts are 1/2" and the 1" hole is more common. After a while you will have a great collection of these sleeves. Good Luck.

I have used a 10 inch wheel on SS on car moldings for 10 years

I invested in a 3 M wheel and am impressed every time I use it. I say invented as they do not come cheap, but you can put a shine on metal which looked like a lost cause prior to meeting the wheel. I would guess that tool manufacturers use a similar product when making a new tool, but all of my tools now look better than new ( in many cases a mirror finish) after being polished by the 3M wheel. I have been using it as a last operation to finish off a shop made part and would recommend it to anyone and not feel guilty. I have no connection to any manufacturer, I'm just a satisfied user.

I invested in a 3 M wheel and am impressed every time I use it. I say invented as they do not come cheap, but you can put a shine on metal which looked like a lost cause prior to meeting the wheel. I would guess that tool manufacturers use a similar product when making a new tool, but all of my tools now look better than new ( in many cases a mirror finish) after being polished by the 3M wheel. I have been using it as a last operation to finish off a shop made part and would recommend it to anyone and not feel guilty. I have no connection to any manufacturer, I'm just a satisfied user.

I also use 3M wheels. I've had other brands that look the same, but just don't work the same. I'm fortunate to have a 3M distribution warehouse in my area. They stock everything from sandpaper to die grinders. There always seems to be someone I know that has access to 3M products at dirt cheap prices. I bought 4 of the deburring wheels when I had the chance and I still haven't worn out the first one. They do last forever if you don't abuse them.

Chuck

Wow...I didn't realize how expensive these things are. I paid a couple of bucks a piece for them. I just found this link to amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD50E2K...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B00BD50E2K

Last edited:
Back