Deckel SO or SO knockoff Help

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought an import 5C tool/collet holder for my Deckel SO. The center height is quite a bit higher. Does that make the 5C tool holder unusable?

Do you have a picture of how high it is? As long as you can manipulate it it should not make a huge difference. Try a few cutter geometries and see.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Okay the 5c holder centerline is ~6.5mm higher than the original. There is probably enough meat on the holder to mill off half that amount. The other issue is there is no fine feed w/the 5c. You could probably fab a bracket and get it to work. There is ~.0004 runout on the spindle. The spindle fits very nice in the housing. The dovetail looks very bad. If I decided to keep this I'll grind a small blade and scrape the surfaces in.
For some reason mine did not come with the 5c draw tube/bar. When I asked about that they offered $10 and suggested I buy it at a store. lol
The other collet holder was the one I fabbed up to replace the original which did not fit the female dovetail at all.
1680830845612.png
1680830777627.png

That height is not a deal breaker IMO. I would be more concerned with the lack of fine adjustment. All the issues can be corrected. Sans the height. I say try and dial the 5C in. It will be much more useful if you already have 5C collets. If you don’t like it you. Can always go back to original.

Upon further inspection I'll be returning the 5C collet/tool holder. After cleaning the grease off there is .002" clearance between the 5c collet holder and the cast housing. Although the grind looks okay I did not check dimensions. The cast housing ID is very poor. The widths of the spacer, graduated dial and the index plates are not uniform, as much as .005" from low to high spot.

Ouch. Not good for a precision piece of equipment.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Upon further inspection I'll be returning the 5C collet/tool holder. After cleaning the grease off there is .002" clearance between the 5c collet holder and the cast housing. Although the grind looks okay I did not check dimensions. The cast housing ID is very poor. The widths of the spacer, graduated dial and the index plates are not uniform, as much as .005" from low to high spot.
Was it imported in from ?

Back