Degreaser help needed it burns

Reading this with devoted interest. Just hauled a big Clarus 25 [govmint grade solvent tank] indoors. Double filtration, fluid pump, sludge separator weir, overhead lamp, rocket launcher, fusible link for the lid, reserve level sight glass, power seats, ground effects package....everything but former kitchen sink.
Being of sound mind and slim wallet, there are many formulations [recipes] combining readily available liquids.
I recall real solvent that worked 100%, but not that it was so bothersome to skin. The industry standard was known as Stoddard Safety Solvent.
CA has restrictions on Belgian Waffles, but solvent ordered at a certain [insert green logo here] auto parts was surprisingly good. At $100 for 5 gallons it better be, after first use that $100 sting was not so bad.
Everyone is different too. But now at 4-5x my age then, chemical gloves ordered for this go-round, with regular PPI.
What bothered me once was a water based version, cleaned like mad but skin not happy. Not convinced water base ideal for tanks not of stainless.
Per remark bald spots not being cool, just depends on size of the spot.
Mine, being ear to ear, cool as hell.

Everyone is different too. But now at 4-5x my age then, chemical gloves ordered for this go-round, with regular PPI.
What bothered me once was a water based version, cleaned like mad but skin not happy.

Even the same person can change.....I don't know if the reaction changes after first exposure or what......

I used to use that orange-pumice hand cleaner after coming in from real messy (usually automotive) jobs.
After the last two times I used it the backs of my hands were covered with a painful and itchy red rash afterward.
I had to get rid of it.

-brino

Seems opportune to nail down safety; not OSHA version but the reality. Like the hype surrounding COVID where each little detail "makes you safe" is nonsense. Nothing does that better than your own initiative, taking steps. In other words, the hype is formed by "makes you safe"; where in fact any single detail MIGHT, incrementally, make you only safer. Need not reinforce difference between those. Points directed from remote parties are not an umbrella, ultimately we are responsible for our own safety.
Mike Rowe [Dirty Jobs] has described zillion of times.
and favorite
Only someone who knows how to work, versus merely administering, understands this.
Defund safety committees, employ him!

Last edited:
Just for a side note since this thread seems to still be pertinent. I never use anything with lye unless absolutely necessary. It’s really nasty stuff. Worse than acid in my opinion.
For degreasing , I just use mineral spirits. Stay away for odorless minera spirits. It’s just lame. Go to a paint store and buy a gallon of the regular mineral spirits. Put some in a spray bottle and for most old tools, spray on and scrape off. For painted areas a few rags or Scott towels. If you live in California and can’t get the good stuff, buy a gallon of diesel fuel. It stinks. But it’s pretty much the same.

Wire brushes, razor blades and scrapers really works quickly. The razor blades work great for unpainted machine surfaces.... greasy or rusty.
And, just remembered.... scotch brite too. Furthermore, water based cleaners encourage more rust. You don’t get that with petroleum based stuff.

Last edited:
These days, I don't do a lot of parts cleaning so will use Brake Clean or the like. But when I need to do a lot of parts, I prefer Kerosene. Lighter in oil than diesel and doesn't leave a lot of residue.

I recall real solvent that worked 100%, but not that it was so bothersome to skin. The industry standard was known as Stoddard Safety Solvent.
CA has restrictions on Belgian Waffles, but solvent ordered at a certain [insert green logo here] auto parts was surprisingly good. At $100 for 5 gallons it better be, after first use that $100 sting was not so bad.

From Fisher's website, Stoddard Solvent is essentially mineral spirits. I buy mineral spirits for $10/gal. at my local DIY. Less than $8 if I buy it as paint thinner.

I buy mineral spirits for $10/gal. at my local DIY. Less than $8 if I buy it as paint thinner.
That's also what I've been using. Leaves almost nothing behind.
I've got a bunch of small parts including ball bearings I need to get well cleaned. I'd like to make sure all the dirt is out. Does anyone use an Ultra Sonic cleaner?

Long ago, our machine shop was connected to a maintenance department. To reduce contamination of solvent tank [bearings especially] they precleaned in ethylene glycol. Tank was heated, made from two crock pot elements, raised the temperature up 200°F and ran covered. An hour later all were clean, to flush out in solvent tank. The grease residue was filtered out with a screen cup.
Name for the hot pot was "Oily-Boily"

That's also what I've been using. Leaves almost nothing behind.
I've got a bunch of small parts including ball bearings I need to get well cleaned. I'd like to make sure all the dirt is out. Does anyone use an Ultra Sonic cleaner?
I just finished cleaning a knee mill with (odorless) mineral spirits and an ultrasonic cleaner. Paint the liquid on, scrub with a paper towel, scrape with a plastic pry tool or a razor blade, wipe the crud off. 10-15 years of auto shop grunge and tire dust.

For anything that I could remove, I used a cheap Amazon ultrasonic cleaner. A friend said they die within a year in a chemistry lab settings, so I went in knowing it's not a buy it for life item -- but I paid about $150, and it probably saved me 20 hours sitting at a bench, scraping and scrubbing screws and handles and knobs.

PXL_20210130_211318617.jpg
PXL_20210131_200058486.jpg

There are cheap tools you can buy that are mistakes, and there are cheap tools that you buy that you quickly get your money's worth. The ultrasonic cleaner is definitely one of the latter. And as a bonus, it did all of the work with just tap water and some Dawn soap. Ten minutes, and your part is clean.

(For small screws and bearings, put them in a glass mason jar inside the mesh basket.)

I paid about $150, and it probably saved me 20 hours
I've looked at the Amazon adds and that's about the price range I was looking @. Many of the reviews weren't very good & I know they cheat the reviews. The alternative is a regular parts washer. But then I'd have to deal with the solvent. Thanks for the help.

Back