Delta carbide tool grinder wire question.

ridgeway

Active User
Registered
I got an old Delta carbide tool grinder at an auction and have a wire question. The tag on the grinder specify single phase 220v. Well, the grinder has a conventional 110v three prong plug on it. Would be possible the person wired it for 110? The tag does not specify 110/220, just 220. How can I really tell? I dont want to put a 220 plug and feed it 220 if ts wired for 110.

I got an old Delta carbide tool grinder at an auction and have a wire question. The tag on the grinder specify single phase 220v. Well, the grinder has a conventional 110v three prong plug on it. Would be possible the person wired it for 110? The tag does not specify 110/220, just 220. How can I really tell? I dont want to put a 220 plug and feed it 220 if ts wired for 110.
If you can get into the wiring compartment where the motor wires are , there should be a tag showing the different wire configurations. Try that before you start experimenting...:)) Most of the time the motor tag will show the different wiring possibilities.

Thanks for the suggestion. There is no motor plate. The wire goes directly into the pedestal base. The motor tag is stamped 220v and the tag under the switch is tagged 220v. Maybe the guy used conventional plugs on his equipment? The shop was was very old where it came from. I dunno.

Thanks for the suggestion. There is no motor plate. The wire goes directly into the pedestal base. The motor tag is stamped 220v and the tag under the switch is tagged 220v. Maybe the guy used conventional plugs on his equipment? The shop was was very old where it came from. I dunno.
It's probably 220 volt. Did you try running it on 110 yet? A quick plug in aint gonna hurt it. Maybe they were running it on 110v :dunno:

I have a chineese version of the baldor that runs on 110v. It takes like 20 seconds to ramp up to speed.

Marcel

It's probably 220 volt. Did you try running it on 110 yet? A quick plug in aint gonna hurt it. Maybe they were running it on 110v :dunno:

I have a chineese version of the baldor that runs on 110v. It takes like 20 seconds to ramp up to speed.

Marcel

I just tried it on 110. It powered up fine...took maybe 5-8 seconds to power up to speed. I just dont want to damage it running on 110 if its not supposed to be.

It would probably fire up a lot quicker and have more power on the 220. That whole thing about painting 110 outlets red to make them 220 gives me the willies. I wonder how much stuff the new guys fried working in that place.:nuts:

I was in a shop once that had 110 outlets that were actually 220, they had painted them red
I can relate. The old time shop at my familys' farm had 220 going to two prong outlets, but wasn't marked. You can imagine what happened if you didn't know or wasn't paying attention.

WOW!!!

The reason and use of special plug configurations--do ya think?

If you run a motor wired for 220 at 110, it will draw a lot more current than it should. This will eventually burn out the motor.

Can you post some pictures of the unit? Whole unit, so we can understand the 'pedestal', and shots of the motor itself, including wire connections. We can always help you a lot quicker with pics.

Back