Delta carbide tool grinder wire question.

Ok, I was able to pull out the switch assembly to expose all the wiring. The light is wired in so it can be turned on without the grinder being on. I took several pictures and some will show the switch turned on in forward and off. I did not see any tag or diagram showing a wire schematic. I have no clue what its wired for.

IMAG1417.jpg IMAG1418.jpg IMAG1419.jpg IMAG1420.jpg IMAG1421.jpg IMAG1422.jpg IMAG1423.jpg

I dont know if it will hurt or hinder but --- I have that same grinder (tho probably older) and I run it on 110v. A bit of background - I found mine in the weeds outside the sprawling shop of a deceased machinist, I approached the widow and offered $20 for the badly rusted machine and took it home. After an extensive clean-up I plugged it in to 110 not even thinking about it maybe needing 220 - and not knowing if it would even run - it did and Ive ran it that way for some 15yrs now. It comes up to speed quickly - I could try and get an estimate of how quick if you would like a comparison...

Your switch is identical to mine, but I'm afraid I cant say on the wiring match.

Its a heck of a tool and I use mine a lot, I have a diamond on one side and a white wheel on the other.

It is probably 220 only, it may run on 110 but not very well. It would not be the first machine that I have seen with a 110 plug that was actually a 220 machine.

That grinder was made in
  • 110 single phase AC (both 50 and 60 Hz)
  • 220 single phase AC (both 50 and 60 Hz)
  • 220/440 3 phase AC (both 50 and 60 Hz)
  • 115V DC
  • 230V DC

Later machines came as dual voltage 110/220 but I believe it would be marked as such.

Disclaimer: I don't own one but I have been looking for one and researching for a while.

The wire nut in that picture doesn't look like a factory setup. The wire is green, is that an actual ground wire? I can't believe that there's no wiring diagram in there somewhere.

Might be an overly simplified check but is the light bulb 110v? Unless they use one leg to ground, (doubt if a factory would wire it that way) it would require a 220v bulb. Not to say the bulb wasn't replaced.

Greg

The wire nut in that picture doesn't look like a factory setup. The wire is green, is that an actual ground wire? I can't believe that there's no wiring diagram in there somewhere.
Yes, the green is the ground. Its connected to the ground prong on plug. The wire for the light looks like lamp wire and could have been replaced at one time. No diagram anywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Might be an overly simplified check but is the light bulb 110v? Unless they use one leg to ground, (doubt if a factory would wire it that way) it would require a 220v bulb. Not to say the bulb wasn't replaced.

Greg
Never gave it a thought to check the bulb that came with it. It got broken when I unloaded from my truck. Picked the glass up and pulled the remains from the socket and threw it away. Looked like a regular incandescant. I scewed in a 110 fluorescent and it works.

I dont know if it will hurt or hinder but --- I have that same grinder (tho probably older) and I run it on 110v. A bit of background - I found mine in the weeds outside the sprawling shop of a deceased machinist, I approached the widow and offered $20 for the badly rusted machine and took it home. After an extensive clean-up I plugged it in to 110 not even thinking about it maybe needing 220 - and not knowing if it would even run - it did and Ive ran it that way for some 15yrs now. It comes up to speed quickly - I could try and get an estimate of how quick if you would like a comparison...

Your switch is identical to mine, but I'm afraid I cant say on the wiring match.

Its a heck of a tool and I use mine a lot, I have a diamond on one side and a white wheel on the other.

Thats a pretty nice find! I paid $220 for mine at an auction where several others wanted it! It takes 8 seconds for mine to cme up to speed. I have a horrid task force that takes a few seconds to get up to speed, but try grinding a 1/2 HSS bit is another story! This Delta cuts like butter with the wheels on it now. I have what appears to be a diamond impregnated wheel on the one side and a regular wheel on the other. The diamond wheel looks like leather, but it does cut carbide. What brand is your diamond wheel? I want a new one.

Last edited:
It is probably 220 only, it may run on 110 but not very well. It would not be the first machine that I have seen with a 110 plug that was actually a 220 machine.

That grinder was made in
  • 110 single phase AC (both 50 and 60 Hz)
  • 220 single phase AC (both 50 and 60 Hz)
  • 220/440 3 phase AC (both 50 and 60 Hz)
  • 115V DC
  • 230V DC

Later machines came as dual voltage 110/220 but I believe it would be marked as such.

Disclaimer: I don't own one but I have been looking for one and researching for a while.

You are probably right. The ironic thing though, it runs quite well on 110. I also believe the guy used it himself on 110. If hats the case, its been on 110 for a LONG time. LOL

Believe me, this Delta running on 110 is a a night and day upgrade compared to what I have been using. Hate to say it, a 1/3 HP Task Force from Lowes! Talk about painful grinding HSS!

I dont think mine takes 8 secs ro come up - Ill have ck in the morn.

Shars has 4 choices of diamonds around $40 -- I have one of theirs ---- http://www.shars.com/product_categories/search/?search=diamond+wheel

cdco also has the diamonds for $69 ---- http://cdcotools.com/ - under machine tooling

- - - Updated - - -

I dont think mine takes 8 secs ro come up - Ill have ck in the morn.

Shars has 4 choices of diamonds around $40 -- I have one of theirs ---- http://www.shars.com/product_categories/search/?search=diamond+wheel

cdco also has the diamonds for $69 ---- http://cdcotools.com/ - under machine tooling

I have been giving your problem quite a lot of thought. I have come to the conclusion the best thing to do is strap the grinder to a pallet and send it to me to deal with. That way it is out of your hair.

And Mr. Pacer has a great avatar!

P.S. PM me for ship address.

Have a great day!

Back