Delta Dp-600 Drill Press Restoration (photo Intensive)

I saw the pulley set screw on the motor pulley but can't seem t find anything similar on the spindle pulley. There was a single bolt & washer in the head just below pulley in the front behind the "conehead" pulley shield. Removing it didn't seem to effect anything though. Need to get it removed so I can clean that area and ready it for paint.

The spindle pulley on my DP-600 has a bolted cap on top, and I think there was a key as well. I didn't have a set screw on the spindle pulley, and it came off much easier than the motor pulley did.

I noticed when taking things apart that the machine's stock color seems to be a medium gray, I'll give the Rustoleum a try since you have had such good luck with it and it sounds durable.

The Rustoleum professional machinery dark gray was the closest I could find to the original color without having something custom mixed. You're right, the original paint was a slightly lighter shade of gray.

My return spring for the quill is broken too, though it looks as if there's enough spring material in there to make a few springs so I may try to bend the end and fit it back into the spring slot on the quill handle assembly.

That's exactly what I would try. If it doesn't work, it was broken anyway. I haven't looked for the spring, but parts can be found on eBay.

Thanks for the tip on the white vinegar, I'll get a bath of it going as soon as I have the time to monitor it to make sure the parts are removed and rinsed as soon as they're done.

mrpete222 (tubalcain) has an excellent YouTube channel, and he has done several videos on rust removal. The last one was a side-by-side comparison between 6 or 7 popular rust removers. Well worth watching.

GG

Been watching a few of mrpete222 vids lately, I'll look up the ones on rust removal...The DP220 has a dual keyed collar in the pulley that the spindle rides in when assembled, so it's turning into a real head scratcher. Can't find any hardware on it to get it to come off. If I can figure out how to post pics directly from my PC I'd put a few up for clarification...

Well I just strolled out to the garage and found the problem...What I thought to be rivets were actually slotted screw heads with the slots filled in with remnants of the mud-dauber wasp nests I had knocked out of there earlier. Filled in like that they resembled small rivets LOL. The large bearing under the spindle pulley is another matter along with the plate the screws go thru to mount it to the pulley...

0630172108.jpg

Awesome job! I just scored a '42 in "unknown working condition" for $16. The original front pulley grenaded (some of the shrapnel was still in the head) and was never replaced. No idea if the motor works since they didn't have power where I picked it up, but for $16 I can get a brand new motor and still be ahead.

Anyone have spare parts for a floor model with power feed? I'm missing the back half of the power feed and the front main pulley.

Hi cranky, I have a 20" Rockwell delta waiting my attention. I did pickup to gear boxes that raise the head and table. I need to make and or repair the gears that mesh with the rack. It has the older style front facing power feed. It's covered waiting with several others . Ill be laid up for sure till Xmas the way it's going. Good luck with your press the pulleys can be found on eBay. Wish mine was that cheap .I'd have bought it for sure.

Do you happen to know the handle bar thread pitch (on the quill side)?

How difficult was it to change the spindle and quill bearings? The old manual states that special tools are needed?

How difficult was it to change the spindle and quill bearings? The old manual states that special tools are needed?

It was a pretty good job. Everything goes in and out in a specific order. I don't have any special tools (that I know of). The tricky part was getting the right bearings. The numbers on the original bearings cross over to several different kinds of new bearings. I showed them to my bearing guy, and he said they were called "felt seal bearings". They have steel shields on the bearings, but this style of bearing is the same shape and size as earlier bearings that had felt seals. He found new ones just fine, but if I remember correctly they were about $120 for the set of four needed. If you can't find the right bearings, call Jay at Bearing Headquarters in Elk Grove Village, IL.

Back