Delta Milwaukee 12” disc sander

As an FYI, there are markings inside the brush cover. I see "L | R"
and an index mark on the bell housing.

So If you rotate the brushes to "L", it spins counterclockwise. Rotate to "R" and it spins clockwise.

Too easy, once you see it. My motor had enough crap in there the first time I opened it up, I didn't notice the markings.

-Tom
My 1945 12in Delta disc sander is the same. Unfortunately, the removable plate on my motor is at the front, immediately adjacent to the platter so it is not easy to get at. Apparently, the motor mount holes/slots are out of whack. May remedy someday.

Attachments

• Delta_1426_sander1.jpg
    Delta_1426_sander1.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Delta_1426_sander3.jpg
    Delta_1426_sander3.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 6
jmarkwolf, That is the same vintage as mine. Where did you find the restored motor tag? I think mine has the original paint (at least on the stand) as there are some pinstripes on the legs. (best way to describe them). I see you have a spare disc platter. I have some wobble in mine, but I don't think it's very bad. Curious how true yours spins, and if there are any techniques to eliminate any wobble? No warping is evident on mine, at least not to the naked eye.

If you could , please post a picture of your motor tag. I'd love to have the information...

-Tom

And I have the same situation as you - they seemed to have made mounting holes assuming the maintenance cover would never be used.
I arrived at the same decision - pick the rotation direction, and deal with it later.

jmarkwolf, That is the same vintage as mine. Where did you find the restored motor tag? I think mine has the original paint (at least on the stand) as there are some pinstripes on the legs. (best way to describe them). I see you have a spare disc platter. I have some wobble in mine, but I don't think it's very bad. Curious how true yours spins, and if there are any techniques to eliminate any wobble? No warping is evident on mine, at least not to the naked eye.

If you could , please post a picture of your motor tag. I'd love to have the information...

-Tom
Hi Tom

I found hi-grade JPG files of many vintage Delta badges on OWWM (Old Wood Working Machines) or more likely Vintage Machinery.org. Then I took the file to a local sign shop that can print high-res directly to aluminum substrate. My original badge was not as legible as yours, so I had to guesstimate what some of the text was. I think the motor is 1hp but at the time I guessed 3/4hp. Pic below:

The process is very high-res and protected with a clear film so it is very durable.

I had to buy a minimum panel size, 2ft x 3ft or similar (cost about $65 IIRC), so I've got extras, along with serial number tags.

As for your wobble: Get a dial indicator with a magnetic base and measure the runout of the platter on the face and the edge, while manually rotating the platter slowly. Might be telling. Also measure the runout of the motor shaft, might be bent.

I was unable to get the end bells off my motor myself, so I took it to a power tool shop and had them replace the bearings. Don't know what bearing numbers they used but it's working good. Originally it took about 3mins to spool down, with new bearings takes about 1min.

Note: The original paint may well be lead based, so if you opt to remove it take adequate precautions.

Attachments

• Delta_sander_badge.jpg
    Delta_sander_badge.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 6
How do you like having your sander on wheels? Does it make it tricky to use? (If you use it at all). Or is that just for moving it around?

Hi Tom

Much of the equipment in my shop is on wheels. My shop is well packed, and moving anything around is like one of those "thumb puzzles". If you look close to my pics, you'll see rubber pads I can drop down to stabilize.

Back