Demagnetizers

drom68

Active User
Registered
Who has them and what do you recommend?

I am in need of one as my tooling is becoming magnetic.

Does a simple low-cost chinese version work or do I need a high dollar version?

If you're talking about hand tools, tool bits, etc., I find one of these to be pretty handy. I use mine mostly to magnetize a screw driver to retrieve dropped screws, washers, and stuff out of nooks and crannies. Then demagnetize it. Got mine from Amazon.

Tom

51OBUB7CtKL._AA160_.jpg

51OBUB7CtKL._AA160_.jpg

51OBUB7CtKL._AA160_.jpg

51OBUB7CtKL._AA160_.jpg

51OBUB7CtKL._AA160_.jpg

51OBUB7CtKL._AA160_.jpg

It all depends on how big the items are you need to demagnetize. The one listed above by higgite is inexpensive and does the job, but only on smaller work.

Demagnitizers can be homebrewed fairly easy. If you collect enough junk even cheaply.

Google will give a ton of info

Who has them and what do you recommend?

I am in need of one as my tooling is becoming magnetic.

Does a simple low-cost chinese version work or do I need a high dollar version?
Someone here posted this idea (I'm sorry, I've forgotten who): Scrounge an old soldering gun (they're useless for soldering) and replace the tip with a coil consiting of six turns of #12 insulated wire, Plug it in, pull the trigger, and pass the item to be demagnetized through the coil.

BTW sometimes it is the swarf that's magnetic, not the tool.

I purchases a line powered Chinese demagnetizer from ENCO with 20% off and free shipping. It came in a cheap cardboard box, wedged down in a corner of another cheap cardboard box, and had the power switch broken. :( After replacing the switch, it worked great. I also have used the soldering gun trick. That also works. But why are soldering guns "... useless for soldering)"?

Ken

I use a small induction motor frame, without it's armature, as a demagnetizer. I have about a 200 watt light bulb in series with the stator to limit the current. I can pass most anything up to about a 10" crescent wrench through it. Works quite well. To properly demagnetize you really need an AC field and not turn off the current until the tool is about 4 foot from the coil. We used to work on Electron Microscopes and frequently had to demag parts that some Nimrod used a magnetic screwdriver on. I despise magnetized tooling in my shop/toolbag.

Back