Demagnetizers

I bought one similar to this a few years ago on e bay for $25.00:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-W-LW-Chuc...789884?hash=item3f4dc66f3c:g:O0AAAOSwZd1VbLO-

It was so cheap I couldn't afford to build one. I use it regularly to magnetize and demagnetize screw drivers and other small hand tools. It also gets used to demagnetize end mills. Somehow a bunch of end mills got magnetized. I don't know if it happened in storage or by lying on the bench, but it's a real pain to have all the swarf collect on the mill rather than drop on the table.

I have several soldering irons suitable for SMD soldering up the stained glass came. I find soldering guns appropriate for many applications like "quick" solder jobs on "heavy" terminals. I used to be stuck as a kid with a 200W Weller gun putting together Heathkit test equipment. The right tool for the purpose...as you can afford it. ;)
Another use for solder guns is to replace the tip with 12Ga copper wire bent into shapes to simultaneously heat all the pins on components, like DIPs, to remove them from PCBs.

Ken

Any AC powered electromagnet can be used to de-mag parts. The theory is to have an electromagnet that induces a magnetizing field into the part greater than the residual magnetism you're trying to remove. AC current produces a magnetic field that reverses every tome the power reverses (60 times/second in the US). Contact the part (or bring close) to the electro-magnet, leave the current on, and move the electro-magnet away from the part at least two feet before turning off the power. Check and repeat if necessary.

Oh one more thing: High carbon steels retain magnetism much more than softer (low carbon) steels.

Someone here posted this idea (I'm sorry, I've forgotten who): Scrounge an old soldering gun (they're useless for soldering) and replace the tip with a coil consiting of six turns of #12 insulated wire, Plug it in, pull the trigger, and pass the item to be demagnetized through the coil.

BTW sometimes it is the swarf that's magnetic, not the tool.

My Weller duel heat soldering gun is far from useless

I use a soldering gun to demagnetize.

I find it very useful for soldering, as long as I use it in the right application.

For smaller stuff and electronics, I use a weller WESD 52 soldering station.

But the form factor doesn't lend itself to being taken out into the garage or driveway to solder automove applications.

For that, my dual heat weller solder gun gets the nod as the tool for the job.

:)

I bought one from Enco and it works great.
I was able to finally demag my Mit 0-8 digital calipers.
Digital calipers do not work well when magnetized.
Works great for drill chucks, screwdrivers, drill bits, etc....

Who has them and what do you recommend?

I am in need of one as my tooling is becoming magnetic.

Does a simple low-cost chinese version work magnetizer or do I need a high dollar version?

What size parts are being magnetized on you? Walmart has order-on-line demagnetizer for about $10 if it will work for you. I had a piece of .001 shim stock about four inches long I used to test my pieces but .002 feeler gage would work to.

Size of parts are your normal use hand tools. I don't want to junk, but I don't want to spend a fortune.

I bought one from Enco and it works great.
I was able to finally demag my Mit 0-8 digital calipers.
Digital calipers do not work well when magnetized.
Works great for drill chucks, screwdrivers, drill bits, etc....
I’m not sure if passing a digital caliper through a strong degaussing field is a good idea? If you were successful, that’s great! Maybe take out the guts/electronics first? Not sure about the reader strip?

Back