Depth Mic Recommendations?

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
After following advice on a great thread for outside micrometer recommendations Good First Mic I'm starting to look at depth micrometers. Most of the time I just use the tail of my caliper for depth measurements, which works but can be error prone.

I really like the Mitutoyo digital electronic mics I bought, but am gagging on the price for a 1" - 6" set. Trying to figure out how big of a spread I need (1"-3" up to 1"-12") and I'm thinking 6" should be more than enough.

What suggestions do folks have here?

Unless you have a specific purpose and will be using them a lot in a production environment I would not waste $550 for a digital set. You can buy a Mitutoyo depth mic set 1-6" for $165. That leaves you with plenty to buy something else.

While I am no better than the others at helping others to spend their money, I can't in all good conscious recommend this purchase. The outside mic's maybe, but depth can't see the logic.

I'm with @Papa Charlie, you're starting to get into the tools that you MIGHT need someday. I have a 6" Starrett depth mic set that I bought that way. It's been used maybe a dozen times. Get a good analog set and spend the difference on other tools. Non-rotating spindle is a nice feature.

I purchased a second-hand Starrett depth mic a while back and while I don’t use it frequently I do use it. Mine is the half base model (instead of a “T” shape it’s more like an “L”) and my rationale for that was that I wasn’t necessarily looking to determine depths of large bores but more for measuring depths of steps or shoulders on parts which tend to be close to an edge. And indeed that is what I do use it for. If I ever do need to span a wide opening I can support it on a straightedge or 1-2-3 block and measure from that.

-frank

Thanks guys. That's why I asked the question. Up until recently I didn't think I needed or would use a depth mic. On my current project I wish I had one, and given how great the outside Mitu mics are, was wondering if it made sense to "cry once". Think I'll look for a good used analog version.

Analog brand suggestions? Starrett, B&S, Mitu, Tesa, other?

While I generally agree with the comments above my opinion is that with eBay, CL, Kijiji and FB Marketplace there really is NO reason why you should settle. Go “First Class” as much as you can. Have the stuff you want/need, just keep a running search for what you want at the price you want.... it’ll come along. I have the Starrett “L” half depth mic and the “T” full depth mic. Why?? Because I found one for $75 and one for $100, both are pristine. And rather than make one work in some situations, I have the right tool when/if the circumstance presents itself. Why would Starrett have produced 2 styles if both were not uniquely required. Generally I live by the argument, buy cheap, buy twice. And if you are patient, you’ll get everything for your price! Too, always have the “right” tools, otherwise the task becomes a “bother”, and nobody likes to do something, particularly in their spare time, that is a bother. IMHO.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are times when a depth mic is really important but those times, at least in my shop, are uncommon. When I need it, I use a Mitutoyo depth gauge (0-6") but far more useful is my Mitutoyo analog dial indicator depth indicator. Same depth capacity but easier to use. Even more commonly used in my shop is the dial caliper depth attachment for my Etalon and Mit calipers; these get used the most. I checked the accuracy of the caliper depth attachments against my Mit depth mic and get the same readings so I tend to use the depth attachments with confidence.

I used to use a depth attachment I made for my digital caliper and it was very handy. then I lucked upon a 0-225mm Mit depth mic set for $50 so I use that now instead :) I don't use it a whole bunch but it's just the ticket for checking bore depth or working out features on a part that needs to be copied or fixed.

I used to use a depth attachment I made for my digital caliper and it was very handy. then I lucked upon a 0-225mm Mit depth mic set for $50 so I use that now instead :) I don't use it a whole bunch but it's just the ticket for checking bore depth or working out features on a part that needs to be copied or fixed.
Ya know I keep forgetting I can make stuff! I like that idea of making a depth attachment for my caliper.

Back