Derbyshire WW BB headstock disassembly - help needed

I have serviced many bearing head watchmaker lathes. A hydraulic press is NOT the tool to use! Find yourself some all thread, sections of pipe, nuts and washers and just pull the spindle out. The pulley will have a set screw in the center of one of the pulley grooves. Good Luck.

I have serviced many bearing head watchmaker lathes. A hydraulic press is NOT the tool to use! Find yourself some all thread, sections of pipe, nuts and washers and just pull the spindle out. The pulley will have a set screw in the center of one of the pulley grooves. Good Luck.
Hi, please review my updated post. It’s partially disassembled where I can see the bearing numbers. As you have serviced many of the similar headstocks, can you please share some pics of hardware I can get to do this. Also please suggest the direction it should be pushed out..

Last edited:
Yes, use a press for removing and installing bearings. Figure out what replacements will work and sources for them before proceeding if possible.

I definitely understand not wanting to spend a lot on tools but there are definitely times you can spend more fixing something up than it would cost to buy a good one in the first place.

Lathe headstock bearings can be fiddly of preload needs to be set, also there are different grades of bearings available. Depending on the precision required it may be difficult to make a repair that will be satisfactory.

Would like to see a video and pictures if possible.

John
Please review the video and updated pics..

Check to make sure there isn’t another set screw under the one you removed. They are sometimes stacked to retain them.

John

Check to make sure there isn’t another set screw under the one you removed. They are sometimes stacked to retain them.

John
Thank you John. There is no more hex screw. I have uploaded partially disassembled pics. Now I have the bearing numbers and maker name. Please review

Thank you John. There is no more hex screw. I have uploaded partially disassembled pics. Now I have the bearing numbers and maker name. Please review
It's easier to follow if you load pics into the response rather than editing your first post.

I'd say if you've gotten this far then just get on with it and make a puller that goes through the spindle with a piece of all-thread and has a pipe large enough for the bearings to fit through. as long as there aren't any retaining snap rings or additional set screws everything should pull out of the headstock and into the pipe. Just go slow and make sure it's moving as you apply pressure.

John

It's easier to follow if you load pics into the response rather than editing your first post.

I'd say if you've gotten this far then just get on with it and make a puller that goes through the spindle with a piece of all-thread and has a pipe large enough for the bearings to fit through. as long as there aren't any retaining snap rings or additional set screws everything should pull out of the headstock and into the pipe. Just go slow and make sure it's moving as you apply pressure.

John
Thank you for being patient with me and explaining this. I looked up all-thread pipe. Not able to figure out how it should look like. I will go to Lowes and find one as long as I know what I need to look for. Will carry the headstock so that I can ensure it fits. From what I can make out by looking at the bearings, with the pulley in the middle.. only way these bearings could have been installed is by pressing it into place from outside on both sides.. is my understanding correct ?

Last edited:
Hi, this is not solved. Waiting to see if I can get proper guidance on simple tools to use.. example threaded pipe.. to pull the bearings out safely..

Hi, this is not solved. Waiting to see if I can get proper guidance on simple tools to use.. example threaded pipe.. to pull the bearings out safely..
Hi,

Sorry I haven’t been able to assist you on this effort.

In general, you should take as much time to understand repair procedures as required before doing things that might damage stuff even worse.

Hopefully I will have some free time this afternoon to explain what I recommended earlier.

Joh

Back