Derbyshire WW BB headstock disassembly - help needed

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

1713745244050.png

Allthread goes through spindle, to the end of a pipe big enough for the spindle to go inside of. Thick washer or something substantial that's big enough to rest on the edge of the spindle but will still fit through pulleys, gears, etc. (it looks like in the picture above they have a big piece of bar stock, that may just be to get things started and would change to a washer once the spindle is moving, or maybe they're reinstalling the spindle here).

You will need to make sure everything that's retaining the spindle is loose or removed of course.

This is assuming the spindle is a press fit in the bearings and any other items like the pulley are snug but retained with setscrews or the like.

When I did this on my Craftsman I actually used a piece of hardwood that I bored to the right dimension.

Hope this helps, go slow and pay attention. It will require force but should not be excessive, 1/4' allthread will probably work for you.

Good luck,

John

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

View attachment 487408

Allthread goes through spindle, to the end of a pipe big enough for the spindle to go inside of. Thick washer or something substantial that's big enough to rest on the edge of the spindle but will still fit through pulleys, gears, etc. (it looks like in the picture above they have a big piece of bar stock, that may just be to get things started and would change to a washer once the spindle is moving, or maybe they're reinstalling the spindle here).

You will need to make sure everything that's retaining the spindle is loose or removed of course.

This is assuming the spindle is a press fit in the bearings and any other items like the pulley are snug but retained with setscrews or the like.

When I did this on my Craftsman I actually used a piece of hardwood that I bored to the right dimension.

Hope this helps, go slow and pay attention. It will require force but should not be excessive, 1/4' allthread will probably work for you.

Good luck,

John
Hi John, thank you for the detailed explanation. I will get a 1/4’’ allthread from the store and suitable pipe large enough to go over the spindle and push on the bearings. Is that correct ?
I have one question. I have added few pics showing the stopper which is on the draw bar side. It does not have any knurls. It had one tiny screw which I have removed. Looks like a friction fit and does not seem to be threaded. Any suggestions to make sure of that.

Attachments

• IMG_2127.jpeg
    IMG_2127.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2126.jpeg
    IMG_2126.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2120.jpeg
    IMG_2120.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Not threaded pipe. The rod is threaded (like a bolt, but available in lengths up to 8 feet, or more). The pipe is just a spacer to push on the bearing inner or outer race - make sure the pipe/sleeve is the right size to push on the bearing properly (do not put the pressure on so that the force is transmitted through the rolling element). Sometimes you have to machine a sleeve so it fits the inner diameter and the outer diameter that you need.

Not threaded pipe. The rod is threaded (like a bolt, but available in lengths up to 8 feet, or more). The pipe is just a spacer to push on the bearing inner or outer race - make sure the pipe/sleeve is the right size to push on the bearing properly (do not put the pressure on so that the force is transmitted through the rolling element). Sometimes you have to machine a sleeve so it fits the inner diameter and the outer diameter that you need.
Thank you. Just making sure that I’m understanding this correctly.. I will need a pipe large enough to act as a sleeve larger diameter than the spindle and it will push on the bearing inner and outer race. I will need a threaded rod which will push the spindle out. Where does the threaded rod go? I need to push from this side of the headstock as in the picture. Is that correct ?

Attachments

• IMG_2121.jpeg
    IMG_2121.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thank you. Just making sure that I’m understanding this correctly.. I will need a pipe large enough to act as a sleeve for the spindle and push on the bearing inner and outer race. I will need a threaded rod which will push the spindle out.. I need to push from this side of the headstock as in the picture.
Yes, more or less. not having my hands on it limits me to just general advice, YMMV.

You really only need the pipe to rest on the inner bearing race. Remove the rust on your spindle before proceeding, it'll make getting the spindle out harder. Once you get the spindle out then you'll address the bearings separately.

Try to picture how the pieces went together in the first place and work backwards from there.

John

Yes, more or less. not having my hands on it limits me to just general advice, YMMV.

You really only need the pipe to rest on the inner bearing race. Remove the rust on your spindle before proceeding, it'll make getting the spindle out harder. Once you get the spindle out then you'll address the bearings separately.

Try to picture how the pieces went together in the first place and work backwards from there.

John
Hi John, does this setup look right to you? I am using a 1/4 one feet all thread. 5/16 is too big and won’t go through the spindle. I am using larger washers as the nut is smaller than the spindle diameters. If I start tightening the bolt on the draw bar side, the spindle along with the bearing on the chuck side should pull into the pipe. With the pulley in the middle, there is no way for the right side bearing to pull into. So I am not using any pipe on the right side. I have addressed the spindle rust. It is nice and shiny now.

Attachments

• IMG_2147.jpeg
    IMG_2147.jpeg
    622.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2145.jpeg
    IMG_2145.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2144.jpeg
    IMG_2144.jpeg
    475.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Snug it up and see what it does

Snug it up and see what it does
Hi John, It tried it couple of times.. with two wrenches. One to hold the nut on chuck side to prevent it from rotating while I tightened the nut on the right side. Spindle didn’t budge or move. So called it for the night. Any ideas what I maybe doing wrong..
- NK

Hi John, It tried it couple of times.. with two wrenches. One to hold the nut on chuck side to prevent it from rotating while I tightened the nut on the right side. Spindle didn’t budge or move. So called it for the night. Any ideas what I maybe doing wrong..
- NK
Sorry, it will require some force but I can't tell you how much or if there's anything else keeping it from coming loose. You could try a pipe sized for the inner bearing race as I suspect the spindle will have to come out before the bearings. You can also try some heat.

But, you're probably finding out why the shop quoted you $400 to rehab it. Often with these things you have to try lots of different things until they finally come loose. For reference search "stuck chuck" on here.

Keep us posted.

John

Sorry, it will require some force but I can't tell you how much or if there's anything else keeping it from coming loose. You could try a pipe sized for the inner bearing race as I suspect the spindle will have to come out before the bearings. You can also try some heat.

But, you're probably finding out why the shop quoted you $400 to rehab it. Often with these things you have to try lots of different things until they finally come loose. For reference search "stuck chuck" on here.

Keep us posted.

John
Thank you John. Looks like it is going to take time.
I will not rush it like you mentioned before. I agree, it appears that the spindle has to come out before the bearing. The right side bearing will obviously stay in the housing as there is a pulley in the middle. I was hoping for the spindle to pullout on the chuck side along with the bearing when pushed. I will look up ‘stuck chuck’. Again, thank you so much for your guidance.

Back