Diamond in the rough?

Ya know, if you want a real SB milling attachment for it, I can hook you up. PM me if you are interested!

Congrats.
I had a 1941 13” South Bend. It had cast iron bearings. Yours will be brass/bronze.
Just a suggestion, before you run it, you may want to learn how to inspect, adjust the spindle bearings.
Lots of sources here and on YouTube.
As long as they never ran dry, they will be fine, in theory.
Looks like a great lathe, hardened ways too.

Thanks @Janderso, I’m pretty stoked!
I take your point on the spindle bearings.
The lathe is basically unused so I’m going to approach it like an old low-mileage used car and ‘replace’ all the fluids and check the seals for leaks.

So new wicks may be in order. Definitely a full cleaning and lubrication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @Janderso, I’m pretty stoked!
I take your point on the spindle bearings.
The lathe is basically unused so I’m going to approach it like an old low-mileage used car and ‘replace’ all the fluids and check the seals for leaks.

Replacing the wicks using the Steve Wells kit is easy and a really good way to get to know the lathe and what makes it tick.

Exciting stuff, getting your first lathe. Good for you. Cheers, Mike

Looks like a great lathe, hardened ways too.
Yes, good looking lathe, but ways are NOT hardened (as evident by the flaking on the ways). Bed hardening was standard for all lathes except the 9" and the 10K.

Yes, good looking lathe, but ways are NOT hardened (as evident by the flaking on the ways). Bed hardening was standard for all lathes except the 9" and the 10K.
I stand corrected, I thought all these later SB lathes had "Flame Hardened Bed ways".
I should be more mindful of the facts.

When I replaced mine on the 1941 13", I was in awe of the simple spindle oiling system. The reservoir is just that, the oil that flows down to the spindle bearings flows out to a groove cut in the castings, there is a hole at 6:00 with a little metal clip. When the lathe is running, you can watch the oil make it's way back into the reservoir.
The bearings were cast iron and showed virtually no wear. I was impressed with my old South Bend. I miss it.
May you have many years with yours, post some pics when you begin the clean up.

When I replaced mine on the 1941 13", I was in awe of the simple spindle oiling system. The reservoir is just that, the oil that flows down to the spindle bearings flows out to a groove cut in the castings, there is a hole at 6:00 with a little metal clip. When the lathe is running, you can watch the oil make it's way back into the reservoir.
The bearings were cast iron and showed virtually no wear. I was impressed with my old South Bend. I miss it.
May you have many years with yours, post some pics when you begin the clean up.
I was amazed the plain cast iron bearing in my 10" 1939 lather were pristine as well. By my simple calculations, if the lathe was run for 1 hour a day over its' life span, it rounds out to 1.5 billion revolutions, with no wear. Amazing. When you look at production machines from the same era some of them probably hit 1.5 billion revolutions in 10 years.

How does one get in touch with Steve Wells?

Edit: I found his eBay store :)

Last edited:
Back