[4]

Diamond Wheel dressers

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Brento

Registered
Is there anything you can do with diamond wheel dressers besides dress wheels? I have 23 used ones i got in a auction lot and im not sure what to do with them. I dont have a surface grinder yet so i know i can keep them until then but can you do anything with them besides that?

royesses

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I use one to true and dress my bench grinder wheels.

Roy

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Dressing grinding wheels is what they do best. :) I've never used one for anything else. I have always wondered if it would be possible to do some finish turning with them, but have never tried it.

I have used them to dress both my bench grinder and carbide grinder green wheels.

Brento

Registered
Ill have to try it onmy dads bench grinder to straighten it out for him.

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
It takes a steady hand, and if possible a fixture to hold them as they work across the wheel. (Fixture to slide on the steady rest. )

Brento

Registered
Ill give it a try and see how it goes if not ill make a block or something for him when i got my shop running some of the tips are really rounded and some have a nice sharp edge to em.

Bob Korves

Is there anything you can do with diamond wheel dressers besides dress wheels? I have 23 used ones i got in a auction lot and im not sure what to do with them. I dont have a surface grinder yet so i know i can keep them until then but can you do anything with them besides that?
You could always send them (or part of them) to me. :) I and a group of my friends (mostly members of H-M) with surface grinders and tool grinders, definitely have uses for them. We could also likely make it worth your while...

Brento

Registered
I may take you up on that offer Bob i thought i had 23 but i have maybe 15 or 16 ill end up keeping a few for future cases of course but we can talk about it. Mind you they arent all the greatest for a heads up. I can take photos if you would like to see them tonight.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
some of the tips are really rounded

That really makes no difference depending on the exact use. For general truing I like the rounded over ones. For precise shaping of surface grinding wheels then the sharp points are the best.

benmychree

John York
Save a few for yourself and sell the rest; Bob is a good target for sale, or E Bay; I have plenty of them already, and all they are good for is truing grinding wheels.

Bob Korves

I may take you up on that offer Bob i thought i had 23 but i have maybe 15 or 16 ill end up keeping a few for future cases of course but we can talk about it. Mind you they arent all the greatest for a heads up. I can take photos if you would like to see them tonight.
Send me a private message, called "conversations" on this site. Thanks.
-Bob

bpimm

Active User
I'd be interested in a few as well as the new owner of a surface grinder...

Brento

Registered
Unfortunately they have been all bought. Sorry bpimm

Latinrascalrg1

Registered
I heard that they can be used to cut glass accurately (in this case the person was referring to cutting glass Tile for a back splash) but Im not sure which style diamond wheel dresser was being discussed. I would think any style that has a diamond surface would produce some type of cut in glass however Assuming they are the style that has a single diamond point protruding from the work tip i would think you should get a Very Accurate Cut. I've never tried this simply because I Always believed those type of single point dresser to be very very expensive but i have recently just learned that is not the case. Anyway it would be interesting to know if they would work for this purpose or not!

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I'd be interested in a few as well as the new owner of a surface grinder...
Is this close to what you are looking for? I have no use for it. 20180727_224445.jpg

bpimm

Active User
I don't think it is, that looks like it's for some other kind of grinder.
Thanks

[6]
[5] [7]