did 30 seconds cutting steel at standard speed ruin by band saw blade?

We had a rush job brought to us on Wednesday, delivery due first thing Monday morning. The material arrived late Friday afternoon and I asked 3 machinists and our "saw boy" to work overtime on Saturday. At about 8:30 Saturday, the "saw boy" came into my office very distressed, telling me he had torn some teeth off the blade. He had replaced it with our last spare blade and promptly did it again by trying to resume the same cut. I kept my cool, grabbed a die grinder and relieved the teeth behind the missing ones. He learned a couple of important lessons and we made delivery.

As a rule, you wouldn't do this, and it won't help if the blade has been fully dulled by excessive speed. It is one of those tricks to keep in your bag when the situation requires it. When I worked in a saw shop, we routinely resharpened bandsaw blades for commercial woodworking shops. Razor blades and jigsaw blades are fairly cheap. To the newbie hobbyist, the immediate loss of a $26 blade is very discouraging, even more so if he doesn't know why. Some people have more time than money, so attempting to resharpen a blade is a personal call and, if not effective, is still educational.

FWIW, I have been buying Chinese bi-metal blades for my HF 4x6 for about $16 apiece (2 at a time, so I have a spare). They have proven to be wholly adequate. If cost was no object or I was doing production work for profit, I would buy Lenox.

Last edited:
Come on!

Do you resharpen dull razor or jigsaw blades? No, you keep spares of items that get used up.

well lets say you bought a saw blade that you did pay $100 for that was still in relatively good condition if it wasnt for a few missing teeth, would you still be so willing to throw it out?

The band saw is a 30 year old Craftsman 12 inch...80" (6' 8") x 1/2"...

well lets say you bought a saw blade that you did pay $100 for that was still in relatively good condition if it wasnt for a few missing teeth, would you still be so willing to throw it out?

Your hypothetical is far from the OP's situation, where he completely destroyed a very cheap blade. However, just to answer your hypothetical, I would cut out the tiny fraction of an inch (a few teeth at 14 TPI) and re-weld it.

I have ruined blades. Once I tried cutting a portion off a deep socket to re-purpose it. Wow! Was that hard! :) Barely scratched the socket. Threw away the blade. These are expensive but good lessons.

Your hypothetical is far from the OP's situation, where he completely destroyed a very cheap blade. However, just to answer your hypothetical, I would cut out the tiny fraction of an inch (a few teeth at 14 TPI) and re-weld it.

I have ruined blades. Once I tried cutting a portion off a deep socket to re-purpose it. Wow! Was that hard! :) Barely scratched the socket. Threw away the blade. These are expensive but good lessons.

Funny that you say my Hypocritical is way off base when i was referring to your comments above in which you were talking about missing teeth on a bandsaw blade and how you suggested to just throw it away when a "fix" was suggested by another member to avoid throwing it away! I personally dont see how im off base as you say but im willing to listen as to why you think I was.
BTW why is it now you change your answer from replace to now repair? Was it simply because of the hypothetical $100 value?

...why is it now you change your answer from replace to now repair? Was it simply because of the hypothetical $100 value?

I didn't change my answer.

To the OP: throw the ruined blade away.

To your hypothetical "relatively good condition $100 blade with a few teeth missing" repair.

Back