did 30 seconds cutting steel at standard speed ruin by band saw blade?

First time I tried cutting metal with my newly reduced drive pulleys on my 14" Enco, I was sure I had the blade moving slow enough. I turned that imported 14 TPI saw blade into a smooth bimetal steel belt in seconds on 1/4" mild steel. I was still pushing 1000 IPM, so obviously needed to change out more pulleys. Oops. That was long enough ago that I don't feel bad about it anymore.

The video with the jig actually looks viable. Of course any of us would build it out of titanium and automate it with motors and solenoids! However, how much do I need to sharpen the blade to replace the missing teeth? :oops:
Robert

This looks fast and accurate:
. No good if you break the teeth,

Bear in mind that on a bi-metal blade the teeth are high-speed steel, the band is not. Missing teeth cannot be replaced by grinding new ones into the band material. Typically, one would just grind a taper on the teeth following the missing ones so that they don't grab and get ripped out too.

Typically one would simply throw it away and buy a new blade.
Yes, but if it's a $100 blade and you don't have it, or the job needs to be finished today and the replacement can't be had until tomorrow.....

Yes, but if it's a $100 blade and you don't have it, or the job needs to be finished today and the replacement can't be had until tomorrow.....

That blade was not $100. And you need to keep a new spare blade standing by.

That blade was not $100. And you need to keep a new spare blade standing by.
Not everyone has the ability to have spare everything in their shop "just in case" mr Murphy shows himself!
Nor is everyone into the "Throw Away world" many seem to be in.....

The tip for relieving the next few teeth after the missing teeth is a very good tip.

Back