Did I buy the wrong thing?

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I bought a MT2 drill chuck for my mini lathe and I’m not sure I ordered the correct adapter.

It has a flat tang at the end so won’t seat in the tail stock.
Should I just cut the taper off and call it good?
9f1a24594103d85a67407ca2f5faa47d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that is what I had to do mine. Typically too hard for a saw, so used the angle grinder with cut off wheel.

First turn the tail stock quill out an inch or so. Many have it set up so you can turn the quill all the way back, and it pushes the tool out. It is not normal for the tailstock to need a taper without the tang. Thats what gives more holding torque.

My tail stock doesn't have the tang feature so I cut the tangs off but only for my drill chuck arbors. I actually shorten them considerably so I can make full use of my TS quill travel yet still long enough so that they'll eject when retracting the quill.

First measure then cut - i removed a bit too much (cut at the end of tapered part) and tail stock couldn't "eject" it afterwards. I removed whole quill, and used a piece of steel rod and hammer to eject the taper. Then glued a coin at the end of taper to get it to correct length.
Btw. I don't have angle grinder and hacksaw didn't cut so I cut it with dremel tool... it took some time :)

Wysłane z mojego SM-N950F przy użyciu Tapatalka

one of my M2 tapers was too short and wouldnt eject from the tail stock ram so I drilled and tapped the back of the tapered arbor for a bolt to make up the difference.
If its too short to eject after cutting you could do the same.
But, extend the tailstock ram first to see if its usable before cutting the tang off

I'll measure it against the dead centre that came with the lathe.

Don't measure, crank the tails stock out an inch, stick the drill chuck with tang in, see if sticks. (Lodges in the taper.). If it won't stick, then cut the tang down enough.

Don't measure, crank the tails stock out an inch, stick the drill chuck with tang in, see if sticks. (Lodges in the taper.). If it won't stick, then cut the tang down enough.
Yeah, already did that, doesn't stick.

Back