Difference in Geometric die heads

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
Hey guys I have a auction today and they have a lot of geometric die heads for sale that I don’t know the differences between. They must have ten of these tools they look to be different sizes from the pictures not the arbor but body size. They also have bins of the thread chasers, and a grinding jig for the chasers. I e heard of them and seen people use them but I don’t know about them. Do you need multiple sizes for a range of threads? Metric/standard? Any info would be appreciated thanks.

I have 2 heads . 1//2" and 3/4" . They take different size chasers . Grab the grinding jig also if you can , I have one and used to use it often . These heads will make your life easy and can be used on the lathe or mill .

Geometric die heads are quite simple and easy to use, the most common type is the Style D, although there are other styled, and the chasers are not interchangeable, so use care in what you buy; if it is all in one big lot, probably pretty safe to get all the right stuff Thewe are seceral makes and types of die heads, but the Geometric is the most common and easy to set up and use.
Metric and standard threads use the same die head with different chasers for each size of thread.

Thanks guys. All the heads were separate and they must of had a dozen of them. I didn’t feel confident enough to get one. 25 a pc. And so many dies or chasers. 1’x2’ tubs filled and going from 25-40 bucks. I didn’t know enough to feel like I can use it. My guess is it’s for more of production of a specific size? Are the chasers in tpi or the actual thread size? I’ll start investigating I see them a lot. Thanks

Geometric chasers come in specific type, size in diameter and pitch, one set for each specific thread.

At that price. I would have bought everyone I could. In fact I would give you thirty for anyone you buy!
I like the geometric type. Serious It s a steal! Any Screw machine shop would have them!
Yes more for production but also can be used for non production with the ability to set pitch diameter for class of thread and with more than one die head you could set them up for different threads. Take a look at the price of a decent proper round die for external threads and you may want those dieheads. I know I do!

Last edited:
Steal ,allright .......sell the chasers on ebay for up to $100 a set(4) at times............IIRC,they are something like $250 a set new.......the heads were expensive,but dont sell for a lot now,mostly because the chasers are dear.

Until this thread I had never heard of a geometric die chaser. Then yesterday I ran across an Abom video by chance where he uses one and shows how adjustable it is. Pretty cool.

How much threading do you do? Don’t get me wrong a GDH is nice but you are getting into a learning curve. And maybe an initial un-equipped hobby shop to handle the use of a used GDH and its used chasers and its used sharpening set-up. And then in the end you may find that a threading die and or single point was just a good for the Hobby Shop. My 3 cents…Dave

If you really want the definitive thread maker. And get all the other Hobby Shop folks to drool. Go with thread rolling!

Back