Difference in Geometric die heads

The die heads are simple to use and simple to set up . Run right hand or left hand threads , use in cnc lathe , turret lathe , regular lathe in tailstock or tool holder . I even run them on milling machines at times . Set your pitch diameter and you have a perfect thread in 10 seconds . At $25 a pc for the heads , I would have bought the whole lot of heads and chasers .

The die heads are simple to use and simple to set up . Run right hand or left hand threads , use in cnc lathe , turret lathe , regular lathe in tailstock or tool holder . I even run them on milling machines at times . Set your pitch diameter and you have a perfect thread in 10 seconds . At $25 a pc for the heads , I would have bought the whole lot of heads and chasers .

Yeah that’s my mentality too. Until you come to my garage and see all the stuff I keep buying from auctions. It’s all awesome tooling that I just can’t seem to stop buying the prices are ridiculous I just need a warehouse. In that auction I picked up a slew of bargains. Haas 4th axis with chuck for 45 bucks. A suburban angle/tangent radius dresser for 70 bucks.
Today I picked up a newer nicer surface grinder. It’s a jet model 6x12 that looks just like a brown and sharp micro master with a kanutsu electric chuck for 250 bucks. I’ll be listing my Boyer Shultz soon and some other goodies.

Did they look like these ? I have the grinding fixture as well as the micrometer head for checking them .

Attachments

• IMG_0333.JPG
    IMG_0333.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 5
Yes they looked like that. I don't know if it tells the brand but they had a red ball on the lever. Do they all come with a straight shank?

These are Geometric brand . Most come with straight shanks to be run in a turret lathe or boring bar tool holder .

Steal ,allright .......sell the chasers on ebay for up to $100 a set(4) at times............IIRC,they are something like $250 a set new.......the heads were expensive,but dont sell for a lot now,mostly because the chasers are dear.

Sellers may be asking up to $100.00 per set, but if you do an advanced search and include sold items you'll see most go for around $20.00 per set with some as low as $3.00 to $5.00 per set.

The asking price for most die heads is in the $200.00 to $350.00 range, but again those listed as sold are generally going for less than $100.00. There are a few exceptions in both cases, but don't expect to get top dollar for used dies of unknown condition.

I visit used equipment dealers on a regular basis. Almost all of them have shelves full of geometric die heads and crates of threading dies that have been there for years. If they could get $250.00 for each head, and $100.00 per die set they would be happy campers.

Back