Digital Angle Gauge Vs Space Blocks

Hello all

Question on milling angles, I have never used space blocks before.

Most digital angle gauges are accurate to .100 of a degree, that would translate to .0017"

The smallest division change on the space blocks is .001.

So it looks like with the space blocks or the digital angle gauge I could easily maintain accuracy of 1/10 of a degree.

Wanted to get some feedback from the more experienced machinists what their feeling is on using one or the other?

Thanks

Joe

My sine bar is 6" long, my vise is 3.8" wide. They won't work together. Do what ever works for you, that's why its a hobby.

Looks like its time for a bigger vise! :D

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Or a smaller Sine Bar.

I've got one 3/8 in wide now, it works, I just have to make my own "space blocks"

Space blocks are typically used for set-up, as stops and the like in shop environments. Where as gage blocks should not be used for stops or misused in a shop environment. Also, gage blocks have a better accuracy statement…Dave

You can use adjustable parallels instead of gage or space blocks.

Hello all

Question on milling angles, I have never used space blocks before.

Most digital angle gauges are accurate to .100 of a degree, that would translate to .0017"

The smallest division change on the space blocks is .001.

So it looks like with the space blocks or the digital angle gauge I could easily maintain accuracy of 1/10 of a degree.

Wanted to get some feedback from the more experienced machinists what their feeling is on using one or the other?

Thanks

Joe

You don't need a space block set to set an angle. Turn a piece of scrap to the desired diameter and verify with your mike. Part the piece to an appropriate length and place at one end of the vise with the end of the spacer touching the vise jaw and the cylindrical surface flush with the end of the vise jaw. A magnet helps to hold it in place. Lay your parallel with one end on the vise floor and the other on the cylinder. (If your vise jaw overhangs the floor of the vise, you will have to correct for that overhang.)
The relationship between the diameter of the gage pin, the width of the vise and the angle is: (D/2)/(W-D/2) = tan(a/2). If you let A = tan(a/2), then D/2 = A/(1+A) * W.
The drawing shows the geometry of the setup. With suitable care, very accurate angles can be set up.
Angle Setup.JPG

Back