Digital Phase Shifters?

I would be willing to bet it's nothing more than a static phase converter. I have a couple American Rotary brand static phase converters. The newer ones say "Digital Static Phase Converter" under the logo. When the static converters were discontinued the 1-3 hp models were selling for $65.00 and the 3-5 hp models were $85.00

The "digital" part is a small circuit board that senses when the motor has come up to speed. When the motor reaches the rated speed the 3rd phase is no longer generated. American Rotary no longer makes static converters under their name brand. They're now made by a subsidiary North American Phase Converter.

From one of the Reviews :

" I played with it to find out that two legs pass through and the third is generated by this box. "

This pretty much says it is a static phase converter.

If you want to swap the power converter between machines, or if you're like me and don't want to gut out a beautifully wired machine with accessory motors to do a conversion, then a RPC is for you. I got my 5hp RPC from American Rotary, IIRC it was about $700 delivered. I think if you already have an appropriate motor you're halfway there to putting one together yourself.

If you want to swap the power converter between machines, or if you're like me and don't want to gut out a beautifully wired machine with accessory motors to do a conversion, then a RPC is for you. I got my 5hp RPC from American Rotary, IIRC it was about $700 delivered. I think if you already have an appropriate motor you're halfway there to putting one together yourself.
I have no interest in swapping (so I of a VFD for everything), but my surface grinder has an awesome motor arrangement with a really cool prewired box. Reddinr above is making me a great deal on a slightly used RPC that is admittedly oversized for my use case (10hp motor), but should get my micromaster running perfectly :)

Ooh, that 10 HP is future overhead! I wish I'd bought the 10 HP rotary instead of the 5 HP. Your feelings about your surface grinder are exactly the way I felt about my mill, I wanted to retain the original functionality, and the wiring cabinet was just too darn nice from the factory to tear apart.

Erich - Just to be clear, it is RATED 5HP I think. The 10HP motor may be over-sized for that rating though. I think the manufacturer used what they had on hand for motors and added the capacitors/relays for the rated HP. I bought it from a small outfit a while back. Maybe more capacitors can upsize its rating but I don't know for sure.

Erich - Just to be clear, it is RATED 5HP I think. The 10HP motor may be over-sized for that rating though. I think the manufacturer used what they had on hand for motors and added the capacitors/relays for the rated HP. I bought it from a small outfit a while back. Maybe more capacitors can upsize its rating but I don't know for sure.
I figured it was a 10hp motor, 5hp rated. Either way, it is likely significantly oversized for my setup. I've got 2 hp between the spindle and pump, plus another 1/2 for the coolant pump (only 1 phase).

I had originally bought a 5hp VFD since I was putting a switch in between and hoped it would be overpowered enough to not notice :)

Either way, a RPC this big is a good insurance policy and will cover me in the future if I so need for a future toy :)

I just spent the last half hour looking for the original instructions that came with it but no joy. Connections are pretty easy though. I remember buying it from a manufacturer in Oregon.

Back