Disappointed with "The Home Shop Machinist" magazine.

Senna

Deceased
Rest In Peace
I've been getting HSM for several months now and I believe that I'll be cancelling my subscription.
From what I've seen the magazine mostly caters to the mini lathe and mini mill market. I don't have any mini machines, only maxi machines and I have no desire to ever own a mini unless it's an original Cooper Mini from the '60's.
The projects I've seen also hold no interest for me. They all exhibit wonderful craftsmanship but a Coleman streetlight and a set of hex head drivers just don't do it for me.
I don't know what I was expecting when I subscribed but what I've seen so far hasn't impressed me.

Write an article on a topic you like and sumit it. Never know...

Chuck

I've had a subscriptionto both HSM and Machinist's Workshop for a few years now and it seems there are only occasionally "projects" or articles that contain something I would like to try.

On the other hand, even with the articles that I'm not interested in I find that I learn from the techniques being used and how they are applied. This applies no matter what size of machine is being used or what the actual project is.

So I guess it would depend on what your actual focus is. The problem with publications like this is that they have to try and cater to the widest possible audience just to survive and therefore they can only allot a small amount of space to any one particular "like". Even with their "faults" I find that they are still the closest thing I can find to what does interest me so I'll be hanging on to them.

JMHO

-Ron

Re: Disappointed with "The Home Shop Machinist" magazine.

I've had a subscriptionto both HSM and Machinist's Workshop for a few years now and it seems there are only occasionally "projects" or articles that contain something I would like to try.

On the other hand, even with the articles that I'm not interested in I find that I learn from the techniques being used and how they are applied. This applies no matter what size of machine is being used or what the actual project is.

So I guess it would depend on what your actual focus is. The problem with publications like this is that they have to try and cater to the widest possible audience just to survive and therefore they can only allot a small amount of space to any one particular "like". Even with their "faults" I find that they are still the closest thing I can find to what does interest me so I'll be hanging on to them.

JMHO

-Ron

Well said and quite true.

I don't suppose a magazine devoted to 50 year old American iron would have a very large circulation!
I'd buy every issue if it did exist though.

- - - Updated - - -

Write an article on a topic you like and sumit it. Never know...

Chuck

IOW, quit whining and do something about it!:))

A wise and pragmatic suggestion.

JMHO

-Ron

I've had HSM since 1988 and I get the new Digital from them as well. As Scrapmetal stated it's not for everyone some articles like the last on a lamp are not my cup of tea, but some of information is well worth it the how it was done is more important than the what it is. Each person has their own ideas and ways to get it done. I listen to some of the guys on the forum doing all kinds of thing on CNC machines I don't have a CNC so do I leave, no because they still have some great knowledge that can be taken from it, will I ever need it who's to say I might set up a CNC some day but it's not a priority at this time. I get Model Engine Builder mag it's slow he's always behind on the mag so now it's digital and you download it but there are thing in it I like to read and I should have canceled it a long time ago.

Todd

I've been getting HSM for several months now and I believe that I'll be cancelling my subscription.
From what I've seen the magazine mostly caters to the mini lathe and mini mill market. I don't have any mini machines, only maxi machines and I have no desire to ever own a mini unless it's an original Cooper Mini from the '60's.
The projects I've seen also hold no interest for me. They all exhibit wonderful craftsmanship but a Coleman streetlight and a set of hex head drivers just don't do it for me.
I don't know what I was expecting when I subscribed but what I've seen so far hasn't impressed me.

I have been getting HSM for 4 years and I do enjoy it. There are occasionally very good series of articles such as cut knurling tool construction and a long series about hand scraping. Give it time, I think you'll find something of interest.

Incidentally, I do own a minihalfpint.png

halfpint.png

BTW, I was stationed in the UK with the USAF. I met the Mini Cooper first hand. Fell in love with the mini van. I had a bloke rebuild a 1275 Cooper S engine, which I put into a Mini Van, and shipped the van back to the US when I rotated. I terrorized Sidney, NY, Clovis, NM and Cannon AFB with it, and later Mtn Home, Id and MHAFB.
Still a Mini fan, but until I win the lottery, I drive my old Chevy...

Chuck

BTW, I was stationed in the UK with the USAF. I met the Mini Cooper first hand. Fell in love with the mini van. I had a bloke rebuild a 1275 Cooper S engine, which I put into a Mini Van, and shipped the van back to the US when I rotated. I terrorized Sidney, NY, Clovis, NM and Cannon AFB with it, and later Mtn Home, Id and MHAFB.
Still a Mini fan, but until I win the lottery, I drive my old Chevy...

Chuck

I was an F-111 crew chief at Cannon AFB in the early 70's and had many memorable trips to RAF Mildenhall as a C-5A Flight Engineer throughout the rest of my Air Force career.

I personally haven't subscribed to either of the two magazines, because it gives me an excuse to visit my local electronic parts store, which does carry them both. I have bought them for at least three years without missing an issue. Actually, some issues I have twice because I completely forget whether I have purchase it or not ;-)

I did subscribe to the Digital Machinist because that one is tough to get locally.

Anyway, not even once have I found a project that I am like "HOLY MACCARONIS BATMAN! I WILL MAKE ME ONE OF THESE!" The pictures, however, is what I am in for. There have been so many "Well, I'll be darned, that's how you do it!" moments, these magazines just pay for themselves.

Those who are experts may not benefit too much from the magazines, but something tells me on a field such as machining there is not such thing as an expert that knows every possible technique out there. Heck, some of these techniques are being invented as we type!

I have had a subscription for a couple years. Not many projects I have been interested in, but an interesting read regardless. I used to also subscribe to Machinists Workshop, though I did not renew my subscription because nothing in it seemed to interest me. I also have a subscription to Digital Machinist. That one is extremely variable, some issues are great, others are a waste of paper. Can't make everyone happy I guess. All told, the subscription rates are not too bad.

Another option is to cancel the subscription, and check out each issue at your local book store to see if there is anything interesting before you buy.

Back