Disappointed with "The Home Shop Machinist" magazine.

I think these magazines are like Fine Wood Working. For 25 years every issue was fantastic, a gold mine, but now I hardly look at them let alone buy. Everything and every magazine has its day and then they loose their focus and the interest of their original readers.
Michael

I think these magazines are like Fine Wood Working. For 25 years every issue was fantastic, a gold mine, but now I hardly look at them let alone buy. Everything and every magazine has its day and then they loose their focus and the interest of their original readers.
Michael

I think that may be a good analogy.
Fine Woodworking used to be a superb publication and now it's merely a shadow of it's former self.

PEOPLE STILL BY MAGAZINES..WHO KNEW:shrugs:

I just got my first HSM yesterday. I have not had a chance to read it.
I did glance through it quickly , however nothing really jumped out at me.

anything I can learn from is good.

Just looking back at this years HSM and I see a few articles of interest.

Jan/Feb
1) Cams made Easy (a new way to make cams for IC engines)
2) Tool post Indicator Holder (a simple and sturdy way to hold it)
3) Randolph's Work holding (his end center support idea)
4) Bench work using Files (I'd be willing to bet 90% don't know to use chalk on the file to stop loading)

Mar/Apr
1) Low cost DRO (using scales for DRO's)
2) Design Fabrication in Wood (just what Bill was doing with his grinder)
3) Stopping the Screwless Vise (vise stops)

A lot of good ideas and ways to get the job done, do you have a better way maybe but this shows alternative way of getting it done.

Todd

Hey Ken

I've been getting it for a while now, and I am NOT trying to sell it to you. I will just say that I do believe it can be a little on the "light" side, but this happens in bursts. Then there are are months at a time when it sort of swings the other way, with articles on cool processes, or restorations. By the way, they really DO respond to readers writing in with ideas like yours.

I met the HSM folks at Cabin Fever Expo. I also had fantastic experiences with them on the phone. They actually TALK to you! Casually! Ha hah. I personally thought something similar when that article about the Coleman Street light hah hah! It may not be for you, but you might want to give it a few more months and see.

The other option is buying older issues in bulk on Ebay.

And by the way, a little OT here, but I do believe you kick butt for jumping right back on building your shop. People need to take life more by the reigns like you have through what you went through.

Bernie

Thanks Bernie, I appreciate the kind words.

I really enjoy finding good deals and buying things and even though the ins co hasn't paid me for my contents yet (solely the fault of this miserable Winter and not an issue with the ins co) I'll continue to acquire items as I find them.
I learned some things from the buying experiences I had before the fire and am trying to put that knowledge to good use.
I can't wait to REALLY start shopping when I do get paid for my contents!

Thank you as well to all the rest of you who've responded. I'll let this subscription run it's course and will then decide whether to renew or not. When it comes down to it the subscription is cheap and if I get a good tip or two throughout the year it would seem to be worth the price.

I really enjoy finding good deals and buying things and even though the ins co hasn't paid me for my contents yet (solely the fault of this miserable Winter and not an issue with the ins co) I'll continue to acquire items as I find them.
I learned some things from the buying experiences I had before the fire and am trying to put that knowledge to good use.

Thank you as well to all the rest of you who've responded. I'll let this subscription run it's course and will then decide whether to renew or not. When it comes down to it the subscription is cheap and if I get a good tip or two throughout the year it would seem to be worth the price.

Is your shop at home or a business? I tried to insure my tools and the insurance company wanted over $1000 a year to insure them, that's Statefarm. So I'll take my chances with the things in my garage.

Todd

Is your shop at home or a business? I tried to insure my tools and the insurance company wanted over $1000 a year to insure them, that's Statefarm. So I'll take my chances with the things in my garage.

Todd

Todd, my equipment was in my garage at my residence. Because of the acreage we own we had to get a "farm" policy when we bought this place years ago. Never thought much about it (who really studies their homeowners policy?) but after the fire I found that I was very fortunate to have a "farm" policy. It seems that these types of policies assume that farmers (I'm not, and have never been a farmer) have a lot of stuff in their outbuildings. For me this meant that although the policy limit on the structure itself was only $17,000 or so the contents of the building had a limit of ~$100,000. Everything in the structure was therefore covered at the high limit.
My adjuster never quibbled about whether something in there was covered or not. He almost immediately told me that he considered everything in the garage was a total loss even though much of it was hardly damaged other than some smoke damage. Both he and State Auto, the ins co, have been remarkably good to me throughout the process so far. I have nothing but praise for State Auto.
We'll see how the valuation phase plays out but I'm confident that I'll be well taken care of.
My rough valuation of the contents is ~$40,000-$50,000.
I'll put some of that towards making up the difference between the $17,000 I got for the structure and what the structure actually ends up costing but I presume that I'll have plenty of money left to begin replacing some of the stuff that was lost.
I think I'm going to like attending some online machinery auctions with a $20,000 wad in my pocket! I'm going to carry it in an envelope and pretend that I'm Tony Soprano.

Can I just push the buggy Ken? :rofl:

I'd LOVE to be on that shopping trip!

Back