Disappointed with "The Home Shop Machinist" magazine.

Why don't we try to have our members, with some assistance, send in their project pics and descriptions so submit TO HSM???

Bernie

Generally, magazines don't want material if it was made available elsewhere. They also tend to want future rights over the material.

Why don't we try to have our members, with some assistance, send in their project pics and descriptions to submit TO HSM???

Maybe because they have a competing forum?
This forum is a non-commercial site, and one in need of revenue.
Village Press and, by extension their forum, is a for-profit enterprise.
While this forum owner is gracious enough not to claim ownership to the content we provide in our posts (most others claim the rights), it's a stretch to convey that same content to a commercial site.

I'm just think out loud, and putting myself in the place of the site owner.

Now, if I were the owner of Village Press, I would try to connect with this forum (and others) and work out a way to use the best threads as the basis for new articles, with the offer of remuneration.
One would have to take care that they offer a better article in print than one could find online.

I don't know what VP pays for feature-quality articles, but I have seen $400 - $600 for similar articles in automotive publications. Whatever it is, something like a 75/25 split, with the 25% going to the host forum, would be a nice deal for all 3 parties:

- Hobby-Machinist.com would get needed operating revenue without banner ads

- The member who started the thread and made numerous detailed posts, with photos, would get paid for something he already created (for free).

- HSM/VP would get new content that is already of interest to their target audience. They can judge it by the number of views and replies.

Of course this is all moot if this site or VP is not interested.

Personally, I would post a lot more content if I thought it might be picked up for a paid article along the way. Right now I am rebuilding 2 lathes in detail, a 1918 Wade, and a 9" Logan. Either would make a nice story. I have some pending projects after those.

Unfortunately, there are reasons that such collaboration would not occur.
I am prohibited by the rules of this forum from going into detail other than to say that there are forums that do not wish to share their materials, posts, projects or members with this forum.
It is our policy not to attack other forums on this forum, but some forums do not have such a policy. Their owners, managers, editors openly attack this forum and its staff.
This makes for an environment which is non-conducive to mutual cooperation.

AR1911, I would love to see your projects posted on here. We would do whatever we could to provide recognition and kudos to you and everyone else for your efforts.
As we are not a profit-making business, we could not regrettably afford to pay $400-600 for projects. However, unlike other sites, we claim no exclusive rights to the projects, only a license to keep them posted here.
If a print media organization was amenable to that, you could certainly submit them, and receive remuneration.

I don't know what VP pays for feature-quality articles, but I have seen $400 - $600 for similar articles in automotive publications.

For a small circulation magazine in such a restricted field, I would be surprised if it were as high as $200. Auto magazines have a lot larger circulation.

Writing is not an easy way to make a living.

Back