Disassembly and Cleanup of a Sanford SG48 Surface Grinder

$825. I scraped in all surfaces and added turcite to the saddle. The wiring for the chuck was in bad shape. Planned to redo the electronics like the print in this post but never got to it. I will probably do that this winter. My guess is that's why it hasn't sold, which is understandable. The chuck and motor ran great before.
I guess one could screw it to a pallet and wrap with cellophane? IDK
1665252230352.png

$825. I scraped in all surfaces and added turcite to the saddle. The wiring for the chuck was in bad shape. Planned to redo the electronics like the print in this post but never got to it. I will probably do that this winter. My guess is that's why it hasn't sold, which is understandable. The chuck and motor ran great before.
I guess one could screw it to a pallet and wrap with cellophane? IDK
View attachment 422682
In Toronto that would sell very quick. We are very space constrained in our shops and few machines fit handily into a basement.

I'd screw it to a half pallet, and build walls around with it with 2x2" and aspenite, and add a top rather than shrink wrap.

Shipping and rewiring would likely take it beyond my budget.

As an example, a 5x10 delta toolmaker's surface grinder has been for sale in Ontario for $2500 for a year at least, but two others have sold in that time for $1500

Shipping to those who are in the machine tool desert is a killer to sales.

Yep. It would be $405 CAD to ship 15 KVA transformer from Winnipeg to Toronto, but I can drive to Drummondville PQ for ~$250 and pick up both a 15 KVA transformer and a 7.5 HP phase converter. That's why I have to drive to Drummondville tomorrow...

This is a great thread! Can I crash the party?! I just acquired an old sg48 (#47-1198 - 1947 model?). It appears to be in good shape, but I see no scraping on the ways. I'm trying to learn about it, and I need to find a flat belt. How is that McMaster 5/8"x17 poly belt working for you @9t8z28 ? I heard some grabbed a 1"x18" rubber/plastic core (I found this one: https://www.mcmaster.com/6082K12-6082K613/ )

IMG_9268.JPG

I also have to figure out the wiring. It has some weird connector malarkey going on - the cable wont go into the chuck - screws are too large, so someone has been in there messing about. Is that two pin connector stock? Also, it looks like where the cable goes into the body has been modified with a little plate. I haven't plugged it in yet, and I want to investigate a bit more before I do. I guess there are tubes in the base?! I tipped my machine over to look, but there is cover there.
IMG_9291.JPG

IMG_9292.JPG

Also, my unit has been painted I think, and I doubt that chrome is standard - has anyone seen that before? Someone must have loved this previously. :) Its in fairly decent shape and complete.

One last question, does anyone know what this threaded chrome piece on the side could have been used for?

IMG_9272.JPG

Not original at all but it looks nice.
All the electronics will be attached to the bottom sheet metal. Guessing not original.
I believe there is a source in MPLS. that can make you a belt. Let me know if you want the info.

Did Amphenol/ITT/Canon circular connectors even exist in 1947? I think those came 20 years later. Luckily those components are widely available.

Back