Disassembly and Cleanup of a Sanford SG48 Surface Grinder

I never considered a surface grinder because of their size... This is very cool!!

@vtcnc Do share photos and, if possible, a video when you have it all back together.

I never considered a surface grinder because of their size... This is very cool!!

@vtcnc Do share photos and, if possible, a video when you have it all back together.
Oh, great, just what we need, one more person to compete with looking for a Sanford. Look, buddy, you stay east of the Mississippi, I'll stay west. By the time we end up in the nursing home, we might both find one.

Oh, great, just what we need, one more person to compete with looking for a Sanford. Look, buddy, you stay east of the Mississippi, I'll stay west. By the time we end up in the nursing home, we might both find one.

So many machines available far, far from me... just a quick search and these two showed up... but in California!

Delta Rockwell... for 750.00!

And one Sanford for 1,295.00

But you do not have to worry about me... I don't even have anything remotely needing a surface grinder... Also, my next purchase is the welding table... then I am in lockdown for any major expense until the detached garage is finally built. I need to make sure I have the $$ to finish paying for the workshop...

Back to normal programming... apologies for the hi-jack...

And one Sanford for 1,295.00

Would it have killed the seller to post at least one photo that indicates the condition of the machine? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

akbar lathe.jpg

Sorry, Minneapolis.
Ok, thank you for the lead. So its a 1/2" x19" leather belt? I am curious on the original length spec'ed for earlier sg48. I've seen people using belts from 17-19".

Any opinion on leather vs poly vs rubber? Seems like leather would stretch/absorb oil..

Did Amphenol/ITT/Canon circular connectors even exist in 1947? I think those came 20 years later. Luckily those components are widely available.

I think those type of Amphenol connectors have a long history with the military, but I doubt they were standard on the Sanford - no standardization existed really back then across companies. I'm going to likely re-terminate both ends with better strain relief, but there appears to be zero slack in the wire inside the mag chuck jack. I wonder if I take the chuck off, is there is a bottom plate where I can gain access to the wiring?

Last edited:
No. You have to tip it on its side. To get that bottom sheet metal off.
Yes on the belt size.

I couldn't get it to work. I think the coils are shorted (if that is the right term). The connectors are good.

This is a great thread! Can I crash the party?! I just acquired an old sg48 (#47-1198 - 1947 model?). It appears to be in good shape, but I see no scraping on the ways. I'm trying to learn about it, and I need to find a flat belt. How is that McMaster 5/8"x17 poly belt working for you @9t8z28 ? I heard some grabbed a 1"x18" rubber/plastic core (I found this one: https://www.mcmaster.com/6082K12-6082K613/ )

View attachment 423213

I also have to figure out the wiring. It has some weird connector malarkey going on - the cable wont go into the chuck - screws are too large, so someone has been in there messing about. Is that two pin connector stock? Also, it looks like where the cable goes into the body has been modified with a little plate. I haven't plugged it in yet, and I want to investigate a bit more before I do. I guess there are tubes in the base?! I tipped my machine over to look, but there is cover there.
View attachment 423215
View attachment 423214

Also, my unit has been painted I think, and I doubt that chrome is standard - has anyone seen that before? Someone must have loved this previously. :) Its in fairly decent shape and complete.

One last question, does anyone know what this threaded chrome piece on the side could have been used for?

View attachment 423218
Sorry I am just now seeing this. I got a rubber belt from Sopko and Sons. It took a week or 2 to get it but in the meantime I decided to go to a vacuum cleaner store and see what they had. Sure enough they have exactly what I needed in many different lengths. i installed the Sopko belt and it runs super smooth. I never installed the VC belt but I doubt their would be a difference. Vacuum cleaner belts run pretty fast and take a lot of abuse so I am sure they would be able to put up with the dust from surface grinding.
As for the chromed surfaces on your SG (not an SG48), I believe if the bottom surface of the cross-slide is chromed it was done for the purposes of wear resistance. As to wether thats a good idea or not, I am not sure.
The tapped holes on the side of the column covers was probably for measuring fine downfeed of the spindle. There was probably an indicator mounted in some fadhion and those items are now missing. Thats my guess. I made an indicator mount for my SG to read spindle downfeed in tenths. There was to ways of going about making a mount and I think whats on your machine is the method I didn’t use but now in hindsight might have been better.

Back