Discussion on Small CNC Mill Spindle and Axis Motor Performance

macardoso

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hi All,

I have owned a CNC converted G0704 for about 9 years now and really have a ton of hours on it. One of the things I really enjoy thinking about and have done some experimenting with is understanding how to overcome the significant limitations of these smaller machines by selecting toolpaths and strategies to take advantage of what the machine is good at and avoid what it is not.

Currently my G0704 has a 5000 rpm (11.1Nm of torque), 1.8kW servo spindle and 750W direct drive axis motors for a max rapid of 1000ipm. The tool holding system is the Tormach Tooling System (TTS). I have monitoring of spindle load and axis thrust forces in real time by pulling data from my servo drives which I will use in analysis below. My spindle belt drive consumes 8% of the spindle load in heat, for a total spindle efficiency of 92% (actually pretty good) and 144W of heat generated in the motor, belts, and bearings.

Analysis: The biggest limitation of these machines in rigidity. Toolpaths need to be chosen to minimize horizontal thrust forces while still maximizing material removal. The first approach is to use smaller tools. For my size machine, I find optimum performance with 3/8" endmills in aluminum and 1/4" in steel. I can use larger, but the chipload needs to be less so there is actually a loss of efficiency. Second approach is to use very sharp tools. High polish aluminum specific endmills like the YG-1 Alu-Power are great for pulling more productivity from your machine without needing to upgrade mechanics.

Now the use of smaller tools drives us towards the conclusion that the 2000-2500rpm spindles that come stock on these machines are not suited for CNC operation. As the tool gets smaller, the RPM required to maintain an acceptable surface footage at the tool goes up. I run my spindle maxed out at 5000rpm most of the time and have considered many times over to modify it to reach 10k RPM. For general machining in aluminum (usually pretty light), my spindle load sits below 15%. At 1/4" diameter endmills (aluminum) and 3/16" (steel) and below, I lack the spindle speed to make efficient use of the tool. The heaviest cut I have ever seen this machine take was 1400W in aluminum with a 3/8" endmill and I doubt I would want to do that often without a serious flood coolant setup and enclosure.

There are a few cases where I do start to utilize the torque of the spindle. These are usually in low speed (<800 RPM) roughing operations in cast iron using 1/2" tools. I can maintain about 75-80% torque utilization without having the machine flex all over the place. I also see these higher torque values when drilling with larger drills. Interestingly drilling is great for low rigidity machines (think of drill presses) since all the force is in line with the spindle.

If I were to re-address the spindle situation, I would want a 2 speed belt driven solution with a lower gear to 2500 rpm and a high gear to 10000 rpm with the same 1.8kW power capacity. I think this is achievable with the kinds of machines we work with and actually comes pretty close to what Tormach has evolved their 770 and 1100 spindles to. If your machining needs are typically light machining in aluminum and steel, then 500W of spindle power up to 5000 rpm would likely cover your needs.

The TTS system has been extremely reliable for me except for long extension endmilling (4"+). The straight shank fails to adequately support the moment loading and extreme chatter and tool pullout is almost always the result.

The 18k RPM water cooled spindles seen on eBay are another option. They have great speed, but lack torque and are limited to a bottom speed of 8000rpm. For this reason, they are an excellent choice for milling and routing in aluminum with 3/16", 1/8", or smaller tools. It is actually difficult to mill steel with these as the speed is usually too high and the torque too low.

What about axis feed motors? Truth be told is I have never used 1000ipm beyond initial testing. I limit it to 300ipm and that is still more than needed. The biggest time saver in a CNC for anything we will use it for is the axis accelerations. This means a high torque motor (and low inductance in stepper motors). Milling feed rates up to 80-120ipm will cover pretty much anything you will be doing on a hobby machine.

Going back to how to make the most of the machine you have is utilizing trochoidal "high efficiency" toolpaths. These minimize radial engagement of the cutter and peel away at the work. The axis motors will be under constant acceleration and deceleration so maximizing what your machine can do in that regard will allow you to spend more time at the programmed cutting feedrate. Since our machines are limited in rigidity, we cannot take high chipload cuts, often less than the minimum recommended chip load of the tool. For this reason, it is often advantageous to use endmills with higher flute counts, even 6 or 8 flutes in steels to give higher material removal at a given chip load.

Finally, one strategy I would like to investigate is feedmilling. In this case a special tool is rotated relatively slowly while being fed at extreme feedrates. The resultant forces are pointed into the spindle much like drilling, while remaining extremely efficient in terms of spindle usage and material removal. Unfortunately these tools are uncommon and expensive.

Would love to hear the thoughts from other CNCers

-Mike

a special tool is rotated relatively slowly
Not slowly. RPM is still set by the appropriate surface speed for that diameter tool. The big difference is a very shallow DOC and high IPM. The change in force direction is due to the geometry of the insert/cutting edge.

So if you're using a 1/2" altin feed mill in 4140 you still need to spin it up to 3-3500rpm - same as with a regular end mill.

Commenting on your general thoughts... I've had the same quandry ever since I started fiddling with my mill. Lack of rigidity seems to be the first limiting factor, second is the price to performance formula for spindles.

Rigidity can be usually improved but it's a hassle. Think filling castings with concrete, adding external bracing, etc. Franken-mill.

My experience with TTS has been less satisfactory than yours, but we don't have the same machine so that's not a broad condemnation of TTS. Which is why I'm switching over to BT30 right now.

I think 10k, maybe 12k RPM belt-drive spindles are about the limit for home-gamers. Higher than that and the bearings get silly expensive.

I agree with your position: the best spindle solution is a two-speed poly-v belt system, with an encoder on the spindle itself. Add in a Fadal-type auto speed changer and you can use a cheaper motor and relatively cheap cartridge spindle. 1.5:1 and 1:1.5 ratios perhaps. Taper of your choice, of course.

10k may be the sweet spot, now that I'm thinking about it. Induction motor or decent servo can hit 5k, so a 2:1 and 1:2 belt system will cover everything from 500RPM high-torque big drills up to 10kRPM little guys. Spindle encoder means you don't have to do computer gymnastics for synchronized tapping or ATC orientation.

-Ralph

Not slowly. RPM is still set by the appropriate surface speed for that diameter tool. The big difference is a very shallow DOC and high IPM. The change in force direction is due to the geometry of the insert/cutting edge.

So if you're using a 1/2" altin feed mill in 4140 you still need to spin it up to 3-3500rpm - same as with a regular end mill.

Commenting on your general thoughts... I've had the same quandry ever since I started fiddling with my mill. Lack of rigidity seems to be the first limiting factor, second is the price to performance formula for spindles.

Rigidity can be usually improved but it's a hassle. Think filling castings with concrete, adding external bracing, etc. Franken-mill.

My experience with TTS has been less satisfactory than yours, but we don't have the same machine so that's not a broad condemnation of TTS. Which is why I'm switching over to BT30 right now.

I think 10k, maybe 12k RPM belt-drive spindles are about the limit for home-gamers. Higher than that and the bearings get silly expensive.

I agree with your position: the best spindle solution is a two-speed poly-v belt system, with an encoder on the spindle itself. Add in a Fadal-type auto speed changer and you can use a cheaper motor and relatively cheap cartridge spindle. 1.5:1 and 1:1.5 ratios perhaps. Taper of your choice, of course.

10k may be the sweet spot, now that I'm thinking about it. Induction motor or decent servo can hit 5k, so a 2:1 and 1:2 belt system will cover everything from 500RPM high-torque big drills up to 10kRPM little guys. Spindle encoder means you don't have to do computer gymnastics for synchronized tapping or ATC orientation.

-Ralph

Ah, my bad about the feedmill. Still want to try one. Seems like a good roughing strategy for a machine with low rigidity.

I feel like a 2HP, 3600 rpm inverter duty motor run at 5krpm with a 2:1 and 1:2 belting options would be a killer setup. Beyond that, spindle bearings, dynamic balancing, and active cooling probably become necessary.

I think an 1800rpm 4-pole motor would be better than a 3600. Keep in mind that most inverter duty induction motors can be spun way above base frequency. Like 5-6krpm.

A 3600rpm motor will get hotter and not have the same torque when run at 1krpm as an 1800.

The reason an ac servo of similar power/speed specs would be better is weight and inertia. The same power motor would be half the weight (or less), and can speed up/slow down/revers much quicker. Downside, as usual, is cost.

I thought I posted this a while ago:

That, to me, is the high-water mark for hobby spindle setups.

I've had this discussion a few times on the Benchtop Mills forum on CNCzone. I had my G0704 for about 8 years now. Here's my current configuration.

Grizzly G0704 mill
Centroid Acorn controller
Centroid Wireless MPG

From Automation Technology:
3 x KL-5056D Digital Bipolar Stepper Motor Driver-32 bit DSP Based
3 x NEMA23 570oz/in 5A 3/8” Dual Shaft Stepper Motor (KL23H2100-50-4B)
KL 48VDC/12.5A Switching CNC Power Supply
Mean Well LRS-50-24 24V Switching Power Supply for inputs, fans, relays

From Automation Direct:
MTRP-002-3BD36 2hp, 56C frame, 3600rpm motor
WEG Electric CFW300 series vector drive
Metrol CS067B-L Precision Touch 5 Micron Accuracy Limit Switches

CNC Fusion's Premium Conversion Kit (stepper mounts and ball screws)
Home Brewed Belt Drive Conversion
Home Brewed Fogless Coolant Misting System
Home Brewed 1010 T Slot Enclosure
Manual Oiling System
Chinese Tool Setter from eBay

Kurt DX-4 Vise

Controllers:
I used Mach3 with an Ethernet Smooth Stepper for 8 years. It worked OK, but it wasn't super reliable and it would act weird often enough that I usually machining about 20% more parts than I needed just in case. I recently upgraded to the Centroid Acorn and so far it's been very reliable.

Axis motors:
I run 240IPM rapids on all three axis. IMHO on a machine this size you can't really use much more. They are reliable at these speeds which is more important that saving a couple seconds here and there. I've NEVER had a cut stall the axis motors without breaking the tool or stalling the spindle motor first.

Spindle:
I'm running the stock spindle with Timken tapered bearings. I ran AC bearings for years but the 2HP motor and high loads ate those up in a couple weeks. I would love a 10-15k balanced spindle, but this little machine isn't worth the trouble and cost of installing one.

Spindle motor(s):
I started out with the stock "750W " motor, went through a couple different treadmill motors, before settling on a 1100W DC motor for about 6 years. Over the summer that motor finally melted down so I moved to a 2hp 3600rpm 56 frame inverter duty motor with a VFD. I run the motor at 4500 rpm because that's what I designed my poly V belt drive around. My belt drive has two ratios: 3:2 on the high end (6750 rpm) and 1:2 on the low end (2250 rpm).

Now that that's all of that out of the way, you're right that the lack of rigidity is the biggest limiting factor on machines in this weight class. Moving to higher speed spindle does allow you to use smaller tools that put less load on the machine but that only helps so much.

99% of the time I'm machining aluminum. I've settled on the Best Carbide 601-33750-1 3 Flute HSC Aluminum End Mill as my workhorse. My recipe is 6750 RPM, 81 IPM (.004" IPT), ~.5" DOC and ~.050" WOC to get 2cu/in minute MRR. I've also looked at the YG1 AluPower but haven't tried one yet. I had really good luck with the YG1 HSS end mills for aluminum though.

I use HSS drills up to 3/8". Anything larger than that I will predrill and then use my 3/8" end mill if I can.

I rarely use the low drive ratio. When I do it's usually to use a 3" HSS slitting saw.

To be honest the biggest time savers I've found from my latest upgrades have been from the software and hardware controllers being super reliable, and not having to constantly re-home and re-locate my WCS. When I do home the machine the homing switches are so accurate (.0002") that they basically repeat to one step on the motors. According to the probing software I'm using the cheap tool setter is also repeatable to .0002". So I can hit the E-stop, leave the controller running, come back the next day, re-home the machine and not have to worry that the WCS has moved. I can also run Fusion360 on the same PC that runs the machine so I can make minor changes to the code in between cycles without having to use another PC (usually INSIDE the house). It's been refreshing.

My next upgrade is adding a Renishaw MP3 Probe. Then I can ditch the edge finder and touch plate. I should be able to probe a corner or bore in a lot less time and a lot more accurately with the probe.

Since improving rigidity is very machine-specific and spindle motors/drives are a bit more universal, here's a teaser from that German chap.

According to his build thread he's running 1:1.5 and 3:1 ratios.

Now I'm trying to figure out where to put an encoder on the spindle.

IMG_20181019_005754.jpg

That's such a slick setup. If you could extend the spindle tube up a bit, you could add a hollow bore encoder in line with the spindle. Could also belt drive it 1:1 off to the side, but that looks dumb. Maybe inside the head where the change gears used to be?

I spent a ton of time modifying my spindle for low noise. Basically I have an air tight chamber within which the belt drive (curvilinear) runs. It is about 62dBA measured 1' away from the head of the machine. This is a very comfortable level for me. I have a L series timing belt on it before, open to the air, and it was LOUD!. I would love to readdress the spindle belting, but I would not trade the air tight chamber.

1612804520512.png

1612804529337.png

My pneumatic drawbar sits on top of those posts.

1612804595123.png

Yes, the L belts are super loud. I moved to a 6 groove Poly V belt and it's much quieter. The dominant noise at the spindle's top RPM is from the motor's fan.

I'm basically done spending money on upgrading this machine. I'd really like to upgrade to a Tormach or small used VMC but my sales haven't been high enough to warrant that type of investment lately.

Maybe inside the head where the change gears used to be?

Uh... Not so much. Mine never had change gears and the spindle cartridge is tall enough that there's no exposed spindle rotating bits in the head.

And as of two days ago there's about 20lbs of basalt fiber-reinforced CSA concrete in there.

Remember when I mentioned that improving rigidity is a hassle? That wasn't conjecture.

Attachments

• 20210207_191420.jpg
    20210207_191420.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 20210207_181955.jpg
    20210207_181955.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 20210207_132251.jpg
    20210207_132251.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 33
Back