Discussion on Small CNC Mill Spindle and Axis Motor Performance

tkalxx

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
There was this sale at HGR...
I think it was $112.00 after taxes.

You can work out for yourself how long I agonized over the decision.

Wow. I wish there was industrial surplus local to me like there is in the states - I'm jealous. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

On a side note, I'm still trying to work through some issues with my spindle. The good news: SKF TR bearings seem to be holding up so far. I've been running them pretty hard without seeing excess heat buildup (measuring 50-60C on average when running through programs). The bad news: I've seized the small bearings on the idler tensioner and as a result burned through a belt. At 8000rpm spindle speed, the idler is spinning at roughly 18krpm. The bearings I seized were rated to 45krpm but the dynamic load rating had essentially no factor of safety in my design. I'm in the process of redesigning the idlers with more capable bearings - small oversight on my part.

spumco

Registered
Registered
Any room for larger idlers? At that diameter even 1/2" larger would cut the bearing speed down a meaningful amount.

tkalxx

Any room for larger idlers? At that diameter even 1/2" larger would cut the bearing speed down a meaningful amount.

Yup, that's the plan. In addition I stepped the bearing sizes up to 26mm from a .75" which triples my dynamic load rating while maintaining the same reference speed limit.

spumco

Registered
Registered
Sounds like yer in bidness!

Don't know if you're using sealed or shielded, but shielded tend to run cooler as there's no shield contact with the inner race.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock