distance from bed to motor mount

If the motor bottoms on the bench, is it possible the belt from the countershaft to the motor is too long? I would check what belt is required for the motor and compare with what you've got.

Does this photo show the same lathe as yours?

lathe5.jpg

from what I can see it looks the same except this is a model designed to be on a stand where mine is a bench model.. from what I've talked to Logan the mounting of the motor and pulleys is slightly different. I feel like an idiot.. I didn't even think to try to find a slightly shorter vbelt

It may just have the wrong belt. Mine did when I got it, but the parts manual gave me the correct length. Hopefully it will be something simple like that.

ok so I bought the manual.. how do I go about sharing it in the downloads section?

First, you check the copyright situation. For which you will have to wait until the manual arrives. If it is still under copyright, you can't put it in DOWNLOADS. If it isn't and you scan it to a decent quality PDF, you can upload it into the Logan & Wards Lathe Manuals sub-category.

I don't see any copy right data in the manual.. its already a pdf they sent me

OK. I'll take a look at it after you upload it.

To upload a file to DOWNLOADS, first go to the sticky area at the top of this forum and read H - M Downloads - Navigation And Use. Then go to DOWNLOADS, navigate to the Logan and Wards category, and then to the Manuals category below that. Upload the file. Note that it will appear at the top of the list of files, because Xenforo has no Sort capability. That is one of the reasons that I created the huge list of categories.

I think that it is OK.

It has a Logan catalog in it that I may separate out.

Here is a pic of my Wards lathe. I built legs for mine and added a chip pan, but it was on a bench when I got it. The countershaft bracket is mounted very close to the bed foot. I'm out of town right now so I can't go look at it, but I believe the space between them is about 1/2 - 3/4" or so.

The biggest issue I found with the motor mount is that it's not made to work with a modern capacitor start motor. If the capacitor is mounted on top of the motor (as they all are these days), it requires the motor mount to swing below bench top level. The previous owner of my lathe solved that by mounting the countershaft bracket on a 1-1/2" thick riser (which was just a 2x4 bolted to the bench). When I restored it, I installed a 3 phase motor, thereby eliminating the capacitor and the need for the riser.
image.jpeg

I ran into the same issue when using a new motor on the Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe I used to have. I solved that issue by mounting the motor under the bench. You could conceivably do something similar by removing the motor mount from your countershaft bracket and mounting the motor to the back or underside of the bench.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
with the motor mounted on the underside like that how do you take the tension off the drive belt.. does that still work properly?

Back