Dividing head worm gear housing fix

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
I don't know if I have posted something about this before, if I did,well the I am sorry. I can't seem to find it then.

Anyhow, I have a dividing head wich I picked up a while back at the scrapyard and there was a bit of cleanup and so to do but nothing serious. I then stripped it because I didn't know if there was something wrong inside although it felt smooth while turning the handle, I still wanted to do a good cleanup.

Then I found that the end of the wormgear housing was broken of. That part is very thin walled. I don't how or why it broke. I can see that someone did some grinding there.
20190321_123509.jpg

20190321_123502.jpg

20190321_123451.jpg

20190321_123528.jpg

20190321_123516.jpg

Well I want to fix it and I came to the conclusion that I have to remake the part,because I don't think there is really a way to just add a new section on. But if someone has a plan, let me kno please.

My question is this. The part is made out of cast iron, but is ther a reason why I can not make it out of something like say 12L14 or 1020 (EN8) or some other metal than cast iron. If someone here have ideas on this matter, please let me know.

Thanks guys.

To me it looks like someone banged it or dropped it on the end of the shaft which popped off the other end.

My first instinct would be to braze it with a gas torch.
It would likely end up with some braze material proud of the surface, but it files and grinds easy.

-brino

Silver solder it back on or braze might be better if the part is cast iron. (easy and strong too).

My instinct is to make a new part. Short of that, maybe brazing the heck out of it and then turning the braze back down in the lathe. But if it were mine, I'd sleep better at night having made a new part on my precision rotary table.

Guys, do you mean that I must make the part that broke completely out of brazing or braze that piece on? Because it is very thin and about 3/8" to 1/2" long. How do I do a brazing build up like that?

Not sure what that broken flange piece does. I wouldn't worry about it, it couldn't have held much anyway. If needed, just make a new stub shaft for the end if the spacing is wrong. Looks like the rest of the assembly is OK, just needs a little re-engineering to make it work.

Not sure what that broken flange piece does. I wouldn't worry about it, it couldn't have held much anyway. If needed, just make a new stub shaft for the end if the spacing is wrong. Looks like the rest of the assembly is OK, just needs a little re-engineering to make it work.
That part sits in the casing and the flanged pin on the right of it bolts onto the casing and sits inside of that piece. I am not sure if it rotates in there or if that piece has just some tipe pilot purpose.

But if I would remake the part,is there some other material you can suggest except cast iron? Because I do have some EN8 lying around.

I'd make that puppy out of mild steel, 12L15, something easier to work with than cast iron. What is the make of your dividing head?

You could make it out of just about any steel. Nothing is turning fast so just about any bearing surface would be fine. Take a look at what the cam rides on in the broken end and see what is needed to make it work. Not sure if the broken part is a bearing surface or just a centering method for the stub shaft. If it's just a centering method, then there is enough flange left to do the job, so just put it back together, no modification or repair needed.

Back