DIY Lathe Taper Attachment-This Old Tony

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi gang,
I just ran across this video.
This Old Tony, is one of my favorite Youtubers. He is very talented, makes outstanding high quality videos.
One of his earlier videos, produced in 2013. This is part 2.
The purpose of this post, is to expose the idea of making your own to those of you that want a taper attachment for your lathe but can't afford it or you just can't find one. I know some of the older lathes that come with the factory accessory are worth much more due to the device.
Cheers,

Thanks Jeff., Tony is my favourite.

The part that I don’t understand is how is the cross slide lead screw disconnected so the taper attachment can move the cross slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must remove the cross slide nut so it moves freely.

The part that I don’t understand is how is the cross slide lead screw disconnected so the taper attachment can move the cross slide.

He removed the cross-slide nut. At about 10:00 in the video above.

Of course! Doh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love TOT's videos, some of the best in every way. I watch some of them strictly for entertainment.

The taper attachment is one of those "must have" accessories. No lathe is complete without one, despite the fact that it is rarely, if ever, used. I used mine once to cut pipe threads. First I had to re-train myself in its use. Fortunately, my Heavy 10 has the telescoping cross-feed screw, no need to disconnect the nut.

How does that work?
You mean it's two piece and allows for the lateral movement without any intervention?

I assume it’s like my Clausing, where the screw is retained in a block that moves with the taper attachment. The front side of the screw is a separate piece that slides axially and turns the screw with splines. So the handle stays in one location but the cross-slide screw actually moves when the taper attachment is engaged.
image.jpg
image.jpg

OK, so you disengage the cross feed by a lever or something when using the taper attachment?

OK, so you disengage the cross feed by a lever or something when using the taper attachment?
No, no operator intervention required. I've never quite figured it out. That is to say I've never taken the time to study the details. Much like television, I'm happy to remain ignorant until there is a need for me to understand the details.

Back