DIY Lathe Taper Attachment-This Old Tony

OK, so you disengage the cross feed by a lever or something when using the taper attachment?
There are 2 different types of taper attachments that attach to the cross-slide: Plain and Telescopic. The plain one requires the cross-slide nut to be dis-engaged, thus disengaging the cross-slide feed as well. When you use the plain type infeed is adjusted on the compound only.

Telescopic type does not require the nut to be disengaged. It employs a separate spline incorporated on or within the leadscrew that allows it to float while still connected to the cross-slide nut. One end of the assembly is connected to the cross-slide infeed and the other is incorporated into the leadscrew. It is my understanding that the telescoping type allows the cross-slide infeed to be used during the process as the spline permits the leadscrew to function disconnected from the carriage. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Bob

Last edited:
No, no operator intervention required. I've never quite figured it out
Yeah but,
You dial your tool in or out via a acme brass nut. If the taper attachment is engaged without disengaging the threaded lead screw/nut, something she's gonna breaka.

I have a taper attachment on 2/3 lathes. Neve used one. 42 years. Just sayin'

I have a taper attachment on 2/3 lathes. Neve used one. 42 years. Just sayin'
Party pooper.
I have a steady rest and follow rest. I just had to find them and have them for my lathe. >>$$!!
I haven't used them yet. I almost used the follow but used ready rod instead.
Hey, the lathe is worth more with them right?
Look how much a taper attachment brings on an old South Bend!!

Look how much a taper attachment brings on an old South Bend!!

true! I just don't do that much work with precision tapers, and when I do, I indicate in the compound.

My follow rest and steady rest are virginal. bought them with the lathe. They've never touched the machine. In fact I've never used one on any hachine I've ever used.... Hmmm? perhaps what I do is too narrow.

I use the 4J chuck all the time, and am getting collet chucks for my 2 big lathes. If you need them it is good to already have them. Or if your hobby is perfecting your machine, have at it!

I found the taper attachment on my CK to be quite useful when turning a taper bushing for a motor pulley. Or other precision taper. It can be done by offsetting the tailstock, I've even seen an option for mounting a boring head in a tailstock to offset a live center, but a taper attachment is easier and funner. Or use the compound IF the length of the angle is relatively short. Offsetting a tailstock or the boring head option determines and offset, so the angle depends on the offset and the distance between centers. A taper attachment sets a precise angle regardless of distance between centers. Of course I often end up indicating it in rather than trusting the angle scale.

I'm looking at turning some NMTB 50 tooling, which the taper will also be quite useful, but again not a dealbreaker to do without it.

The monarch CK taper is telescopic and has two lockdown (friction clamp) bolts. With both loose, the taper attachment and cross leadscrew both can be used simultaneously, but more overall slop. One lockdown is adjacent to the crossslide leadscrew nut and locks out the leadscrew. The other lockdown stops the taper bar from moving.

Monarch recommends locking out the leadscrew when using the taper attachment. Presumably they intend the compound to be used for adjusting depth. Engaging the crossslide feed in this configuration would not be good.

Back