DIY- Planer-Jointer Blade Sharpening Fixture

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
It sure is nice to dream up an idea, go out into the shop and whip it up in less than an hour.
I found this 4" Rockwell planer-jointer on Craigslist.
I'm going through it to get it ready to use and hand over to my son. He's a starving teacher in the California school system. (proud PaPa)
I like to help him where I can.
This is just a block of hot rolled steel, I put it in vinegar for 3 days to remove the thick layer of mill scale. Used the horizontal saw to cut a block a bit longer than the blades.
I then placed the block at a 35 degree angle in the Kurt vise. Used a 7/8" end mill to seat the blade into the block for a secure and repeatable position.
This will allow for the planer blades to be sharpened on my surface grinder.
I'm using a CBN wheel that puts a mirror finish on parts.
I'll just drill and tap 10-32 to hold the blades to the block.
I don't know if this is the only one in existence or if this is a common idea?? It just came to me one day.

Attachments

• pl 5.jpg
    pl 5.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 48
  • pl 1.jpg
    pl 1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 40
  • pl 2.jpg
    pl 2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 40
  • pl 3.jpg
    pl 3.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 37
  • pl 4.jpg
    pl 4.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 43
Looks like a good approach to me. Did you relieve the inside corner on the block? It looks like it, and that seems good if possible (depending on the cutter’s edge radius).

Looks like a good approach to me. Did you relieve the inside corner on the block? It looks like it, and that seems good if possible (depending on the cutter’s edge radius).
No I didn't, good idea.
Would you set up the cut with a slitting saw?

No I didn't, good idea.
Would you set it up the cut with a slitting saw?

I was thinking about how I’d do it and decided that a slitting saw would be better than a tiny end mill. So at least the two of us have that inclination.

Good work Jeff.
This is super timely as I was thinking about how to do this for my planer blades.
Thanks for saving me some trouble!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good work Jeff.
This is super timely as I was thinking about how to do this for my planer blades.
Thanks for saving me some trouble!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David,
The chips in your Avatar look like you've been using a sharp parting tool.
Am I close?

David,
The chips in your Avatar look like you've been using a sharp parting tool.
Am I close?
Pretty close, those are 12L14 chips made with a freshly ground HSS tool a la @mikey.
I was pushing my poor SB 10K to see how deep a cut it would take. On a 1" diameter workpiece I was able to manage about .07" DoC at about a .005 feed rate.
That instantly made me a believer in a sharp HSS tool!

Back