DIY- Planer-Jointer Blade Sharpening Fixture

Pretty close, those are 12L14 chips made with a freshly ground HSS tool a la @mikey.
I was pushing my poor SB 10K to see how deep a cut it would take. On a 1" diameter workpiece I was able to manage about .07" DoC at about a .005 feed rate.
That instantly made me a believer in a sharp HSS tool!
I was visiting Ulma Doc's shop, I actually touched a HSS tool ground for a shaper a la Mikey.
I've haven't been the same since :)

I made a similar fixture to sharpen up to 12" planer blades; my approach was a bit different, in that I used 3/4" square steel and machined a slot at an angle the full length leaving a projecting lip with drilled and tapped holes for setscrews to clamp the knives in, this way, it is not specific to any hole spacing or length of knife with or without holes.

I made a similar fixture to sharpen up to 12" planer blades; my approach was a bit different, in that I used 3/4" square steel and machined a slot at an angle the full length leaving a projecting lip with drilled and tapped holes for setscrews to clamp the knives in, this way, it is not specific to any hole spacing or length of knife with or without holes.
12"!! That's the real deal.
I'm looking at an old Craftsman 6" planer. It will need to be in good shape. I'm done with projects for a while.

The 12" length is for planer blades, also works for 6" jointer blades..

YOU done with projects????
I have so much on my to do list, I've got three machine tools tore down in the rebuild process.
Just for a while :)
In less than a year I'll have much more time.
Plus, mid summer, I'm going to 4 day weeks-I hope.

I have so much on my to do list, I've got three machine tools tore down in the rebuild process.
Just for a while :)
In less than a year I'll have much more time.
Plus, mid summer, I'm going to 4 day weeks-I hope.
There is a lot to recommend retirement!

I'm thinking you wouldn't have to have a surface grinder you could mount a Cup Stone in a Drill Chuck and mount the fixture on a Mill Table.

I'm thinking you wouldn't have to have a surface grinder you could mount a Cup Stone in a Drill Chuck and mount the fixture on a Mill Table.
That could work. Dress the wheel and run at a high rate of speed.

Yes, that would be possible, for optimum grinding conditions, the stone would have to be harder than normal, as using a stone at slower speeds that would be available on a mill would act to make the stone act softer and not hold up as well. Personally, I think that grinding jobs belong on a grinding machine that is better adapted and equipped to deal with grit and grinding swarf.
toolroom grinding wheels generally need to run at about 3600 RPM plus, depending on diameter, faster than most mills.

Back