Do I need a bigger lathe.

I would hook that thing up and ask questions later..... The cutting forces that are required for grinding are extremely low... But you might not want to mount it to the compound.... Or list it on fleebay you can easily get $300+ for it and find or make something smaller to fit your machine... Building a tool post grinder would be a fairly simple job with a lathe and mig welder...

"Do I need a larger lathe?", the man asks!

I think it must be a trick question, but let me think about it for 3... 2...1 second. Got it!

Short answer, yes!
Long answer, yessssssss!
;)

Tom

What does the bottom of your compound look like? Can you post a picture of it? Maybe we can help you with some ideas for mounting it....

Last edited:
What does the bottom of your compound look like? Can you post a picture of it? Maybe we can help you with some ideas for mounting it....

It's a round bit that sticks up maybe half an inch, probably 1.5" diameter. Definitely not stout enough for mounting something this big, besides the wheel would be nowhere near the workpiece.

I'm probably going to offer it for sale, any takers here?

Cheers,

John

You're supposed to get a great deal on tooling, then buy a bigger lathe too match the tooling. That's how things work here.

Another idea: make a baseplate out of aluminum or something, then put casters or supports of some kind where the wheel overhangs the lathe.

You're supposed to get a great deal on tooling, then buy a bigger lathe too match the tooling. That's how things work here.

Another idea: make a baseplate out of aluminum or something, then put casters or supports of some kind where the wheel overhangs the lathe.

I like that idea since the baseplate could cover the ways and keep them clean.

Back