Do I need a bigger lathe.

Of course, I know the answer to this question, more capability is better. But, my space is limited and I was hoping someone with experience fitting tool post grinders has a minimum size tool that they believe would work with what I've got.

You could rig up a rail for the toolpost grinder that is parallel to (and the same height as) the ways of the lathe. Have to be quite careful about this of course. Then half of the weight/base of the grinder would be on the carriage, half on the rail. Bolt some stout struts to connect the lathe carriage with the rail carriage (or whatever you want to call the part that rides along the rail and supports the grinder). Hmm, nice alliteration there - straight stout struts.

EDIT: looks like the chip shield might get in the way of this.

You nedn't consider 'force', the grinder applies very litle force on the work, compared to a cutting tool

I totally agree with this. Tool post grinder should only be used for small amounts of stock removal.
If you had .015 to remove from a hardened part you would take small amounts per pass like .002 at a time.
Could possibly take heavier cuts but would need to get a feel for how it's all working as far as the mount and such.

Normally the wheel is turning in the down direction so the sparks go down and the stock being ground is rotated the opposite way. Faster the better.
Not sure if running in reverse as fast as it would go would be safe or not. Screw on chuck?

Depending on how heavy that grinder is you may not want all that weight on your compound. You could mount it in place of the compound or make a support off the carriage to help.

Grinders are a horrible mess and not good for any lathe. So protect the lathe with drop cloths and clean well after use (the lathe that is).

I also picked up this little ball screw column cheap, maybe I can make something that the grinder could ride on?

Attachments

• IMG_6485.jpg
    IMG_6485.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 14
Holy crap that thing looks huge! Ok, I will be first to say no, you don't need a bigger lathe to use that..... if you hold it by hand. :big grin:

First ya a bigger lathe is in order. That said that grinder doesn't mount to the tool post, It mounts directly to the compound. so you may be able to make do. For now. what model is the grinder?

that grinder doesn't mount to the tool post, It mounts directly to the compound. so you may be able to make do.

I would worry more about the weight of the grinder tipping the lathe over or rocking the bench it is mounted to - it looks quite similar to the (broken - electrical cord) toolpost grinder that came with my 14x40 lathe, thing must weigh fifty or sixty pounds.

But I suppose the grinder is generally always down, not swinging between up and down very often, so yeah it may be okay.

So, I actually looked up the model number and the operators manual says it's for 16' to 22" swing machines. I'll probably clean it up and offer it for sale since I don't have any current projects I need it for. I'll look for a smaller one if I need it later.

Thanks for all your input.

John

Back