Do I need a surface grinder?

Thanks for the support. Makes me feel even better about probably buying the thing. Its a 12x24 surface grinder.

Well, if I went to look at it and its leaking some. Id assume its fixable. The problem is, is moving it now. I called a local mover and they wanted $1200 to move it 10 miles!

Any ideas?

Well, if I went to look at it and its leaking some. Id assume its fixable. The problem is, is moving it now. I called a local mover and they wanted $1200 to move it 10 miles!

Any ideas?
Check with automotive towing service companies. They often do that sort of work, and charge a LOT less!

Good riggers and machinery movers are worth their weight in gold. Others not so much. Moving a surface grinder can be a bit tricky, they are top heavy and there are not many places you can grab onto them from the top. Normally have to lift from the bottom. We moved a 2500 lb surface grinder just last week, and was able to lift from the top using straps, but it depends on the design of the grinder.

Your option is to rent a forklift, about 8000-10,000 lb, ($300?). Depending on the layout of the shop you may have to move the machine on skates to get it near a door where you can get to it with a forklift. This means moving the forklift for load & unload. If you have a tow vehicle that will handle it then you're in good shape, if not then you'll have to rely on the rental company to move the forklift.

If you can coordinate with the seller and move the grinder when they are bringing in their new equipment, then the riggers will already be on-site so no mobilization costs and you could probably get them to load out the grinder for a nominal fee. Then all you have to worry about is unloading when you get it to your shop.

Using a drop deck trailer is always a good idea, I have moved a lot of machinery on those. Getting a top heavy machine up and down the ramp can be a bit tricky. The ramp is shallow, but it is still a ramp. Ratchet pullers on front & back to control the machine is mandatory.

This picture shows the ramp a bit off of the floor due to the steep slope of the driveway, normally they will come down flush.
1542045663621.png

I hope this is helpful.

I moved my 2200lb surface grinder by myself. it can be done with patience, but above all, patience! (and care)

If they can put it into the back of a trailer for you, all the better. Many places will rent you a 2 ton gantry crane, which will allow you to both load and unload your purchase. We offloaded mine onto 1.125" solid bars and use them as rollers to move my SG into place. My total cost of moving mine 875 miles was gas cost and using my gantry crane.

We have a Memorial Service company with a boom crane that moonlights as a machinery mover. here they'd charge you $250.
People who move safes have the right equipment to move a SG, but not necessarily the expertise.

There should be lifting points on the right and left sides of the machine. Otherwise it will need a good pry bar and blocking to put it onto a pallet jack to roll it out to your trailer. Still you will need to lift it somehow, hence the gantry crane.

Sorry I'm not closer or I'd do it for gas.

If you can get it on a pallet jack you can have it loaded on to a flatbed tow truck and then have the tow truck set it in your driveway....

Last edited:
Jack it up a couple inches at a time and strap 2 - 4x4's under it. Strap tight with ratchet straps and then jack up a couple inches to slide 1" pipe under it. Piece of cake after that.
I'd be all over that if it was close to me.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I went ahead and built a toe jack today. My plan is to toe jack it up and slowly stack 2x4s under it until a pallet jack can get under it. Use a couple 4x4s and a 2x4s to make a make shift pallet specifically for it. I will check into a flat bed service as they can winch it on the pallet jack. My pallet jack is rated for 4500lbs but its a harbor freight one. I think I'll probably rent a 5500lb pallet jack.

Here is the toe jack I built and below is the "pallet" I built to move the mill. Im thinking doing the same thing should work:

Here is the toe jack I built

Looks like the one I built when I got my cnc lathe. Mine wasn't strong enough to not bend , but it got the job done.
Course the lathe was 10,000 lbs.
Might want to gusset that top corner if it's not already. That's where mine would bend.

Back